GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?   Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 9:16 am

The metallic strip embedded in the colored side mouldings of my wagon are deteriorated.  The clear plastic outer cover has separated from the metallic layer underneath.  Is there a way to remove the outer plastic layer and underlying metalic layer, and paint the moulding to match the body color?  Or, is there a decent aftermarket moulding available?

Does anyone know of a source for salvaged mouldings that are in decent shape?

What's involved in eliminating all the offending mouldings?  The sides are stick-on, but once you get to the rear corners and across the tailgate, what happens?

Last edited by dmg4 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?   Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I removed mine, I prefer the cleaner look!  The front bumper still has them I think, but its minor!

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? IMG_2118_zps412fe1c9

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? IMG_2120_zpsf85a1db6

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? IMG_2116_zps50d901c1
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?   Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 7:25 am

Thanks.  Very nice look! My mouldings all have to be removed as step one of any process, so I can just leave them off for a while and see if I like the cleaner look.  I had wanted to keep it as original as possible, right down to the wire spoke wheel covers, but the trim on one side looks a bit daggy.  Odd: the opposite side looks fine.

I'll clean them up and repaint them once they are off the car.  If nothing else, I can take them to the next Wagonfest parts swap.  I need some interior plastic covers for the rear pillars if anyone has them.  Color is Bordello Red, but I could dye any color to match.  Need the drivers-side seatbelt buckle cover too, and the plastic keeper button that prevents the clip from sliding down to the floor when you unbuckle.  Nickle and dime stuff, but necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?   Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on repair/replacement of side mouldigs on 1996 Caprice Wagon?
Page 1 of 1