GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RMW rear window struts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brainiac

RMW rear window struts Empty
PostSubject: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:59 am

...easy to remove old ones and install new ones, but the new ones are so stiff! I put them on one at a time and tried to work them into an easier slide but they just barely slide and make a terrible screeching noise. Anybody have a secret for making these new struts slide a bit easier?
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Never had a problem with mine (replaced right after I bought the car since the whole vice grip thing got old pretty quick). Which brand did you buy?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 1:56 pm

You may have the wrong ones. They sound like they were designed for a much heavier hatch and so will cause that kind of resistance.
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:33 pm

That's what I was trying to get at, what is the brand and part number of what you put on?
Back to top Go down
brainiac

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 am

I threw the wrapper away. I called O'Reillys and told them the year and make. They said these were the replacements. But you guys are saying there might be another brand? Guess it's too late for another with. These are still tight, but they do seem to be loosening up. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 am

I bought mine online and that was quite a while ago. Yeah there are many brands of those gas charged struts. It should actually be either silk screened or stamped on the body of the strut what the brand and part/model number. But if they are starting to get better you might be fine.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 9:40 am

One of the first things I noticed about my Caprice was how incredibly easy it was to raise and lower the rear window. Then just two days ago the struts wouldn't hold up the glass Mad The ones on the Roady were replaced a few years ago and are still quite stiff. I'm used to it now.

I was toying with the idea of having one good and one worn for each wagon but didn't want to risk the glass twisting and breaking due to uneven pressure when closing. So, I too have to replace my struts. Ill probably check a local source and compare to what's on line.
Back to top Go down
brainiac

PostSubject: Rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 am

They have gotten a bit easier with time and repeated use. At least they don't still creak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMW rear window struts   RMW rear window struts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RMW rear window struts
Page 1 of 1