GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front bumper cover removed?

Go down 
+2
bamalongroof
MG Davis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MG Davis

MG Davis

Front bumper cover removed? Empty
PostSubject: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Tried surfing the forums, but havent found a picture of what I need to see.  Trying to find out just what lurks under the front bumper cover without having to actually take it off.  Anybody have a front and/or front 3/4s shot of a RMW with the bumper cover off, like during paint prep, etc?
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 12:26 am

I don't have a photo but have had mine off what are you looking for? mostly its a steel beam that is the real bumper. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 2:05 am

Try Google (images).  Here's a shot from the first search I did......
Front bumper cover removed? Image

Note - This is from the Impala SS forum of a member switching to a Caprice bumper.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 4:53 pm

bamalongroof wrote:
I don't have a photo but have had mine off what are you looking for? mostly its a steel beam that is the real bumper. Jeff

Kinda wanted to see whats behind that big metal slab. Looking to delete all that mess, bumper, shocks, etc and adapt a rear roll pan to the front bumper. None of the aftermarket manufacturers make a front roll pan like they do rear, for liability reasons I guess.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Throw enough money at it,anythings possible.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 pm

There's a shop about thirty minutes from me that does custom work on B-bodies, if it comes to that.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 am

Not too much behind the steel bumper most everything is aft of the core support. If you have RMW the air compressor is on the drivers side but back far enough is should not be an issue. jeff
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 6:44 pm

You should put at least a steel 2 by 6/8, or 3 by 6/8 across the frame ends. It would still allow you to get rid of most of the bumper length, and give you some protection from idiots. It would also give you a place to mount the custom part you are getting.

Have you thought of modifying a urethane cover? You can heat weld the urethane to make it shorter, and add a section if necessary.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 8:44 pm

MG Davis wrote:
There's a shop about thirty minutes from me that does custom work on B-bodies, if it comes to that.

Thats pretty lucky for you,.

who are they? I;d like to send some business their way,..
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Was thinking along those exact lines. Fred. I also have a good body guy who could smooth it all out once it was reshaped.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Front bumper cover removed? Image_zpswi8ll97y
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 pm

MG Davis wrote:

I hope it is not Leepu and Pitbull.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
MG Davis wrote:

Thats pretty lucky for you,.

who are they?  I;d like to send some business their way,..

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-johns-customs-leesburg

They were highly recommended here in an earlier thread.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 am

Have you seen their work? Or did you hear of it word of mouth? Ive heard of that shop before,just cant remember why or what for.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

They seem to focus on glass replacement,.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Havent seen it first-hand yet, but they were recommended here. Will likely hop on the bike and tool on out there this weekend.

Andebe wrote:
Have you seen their work? Or did you hear of it word of mouth? Ive heard of that shop before,just cant remember why or what for.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 10:26 am

Stingroo...Errrr,former Roo? Recommends them,has seen their work.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Any forum name with 'roo' as a suffix,. does not seem destined for longevity,.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 11:45 am

Laughed harder than I should have at that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front bumper cover removed?   Front bumper cover removed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front bumper cover removed?
Page 1 of 1