GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations

Go down 
+4
mtrhead79
Deadmanonduty
MalibuSSwagon
Steve Smith
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Empty
PostSubject: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm just now starting to compile a list of performance parts to be added to my Roadmaster over the cold months. I have never had headers on a 4 wheeled vehicle before and it was advised to go with long tube stainless units.
Who now has them on their B body vehicle? Brand name? Cost? level of noise over stock? Difficulty with instillation?
Hate to buy a set only to find I hate them and thus wasted my money and time.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 am

I'd upgrade rear gear ratio before anything else. You're going to get a bigger kick going to 3.73 gears than you'll get from a set of headers.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I'd upgrade rear gear ratio before anything else. You're going to get a bigger kick going to 3.73 gears than you'll get from a set of headers.

Already on the list. Going with Flowmaster 40s, no cats, long tube headers, perhaps a cold air intake ,new plug wires and sending out the "main brain" for a chip and reprograming.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Ive got a set of SLP Shorty Headers for sale if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 10:13 am

A lot of those links dont exist anymore.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Andebe wrote:

Sounds like a great opportunity to rebuild that thread over here with updated links and information.

As you're now in the top 20 of most active users - while joining nearly 3 years after anyone else on there to boot - it's probably time to contribute some real tech.

Thanks for stepping up. Smile

Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 am

If your buddy said to use "long tube stainless units" you prob have one source:

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/high_performance_exhaust_systems.php

They are not cheap but are what many use.  I decided to use that money on a lesser exhaust system and on other mods (like a gear change, PCM tune, suspension upgrades)

__
I ran the Summit longtubes...but they are iffy with AC lines and you need to trim some of the frame bracing to make them fit. They are also thin, rust easily if the car is stored outside and you need to buy the best sealing gaskets out there to keep leaks away.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9001-9

__
Currently I am running a shorty style BBK header setup.  These are well made, fit easily and work well with the AC lines.  I won't get to the track until later this month...but I have a feeling my times will not suffer by switching to these headers.  However, I am not a hard core drag racer....so you might want to weigh your options, long term goals and budget.    

http://www.amazon.com/BBK-15950-Performance-Exhaust-Headers/dp/B000CITD2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446742226&sr=8-1&keywords=IMpala+SS+BBK+headers

Chris

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 pm

JaySS wrote:

Andebe wrote:

Sounds like a great opportunity to rebuild that thread over here with updated links and information.

As you're now in the top 20 of most active users - while joining nearly 3 years after anyone else on there to boot - it's probably time to contribute some real tech.

Thanks for stepping up.  Smile 

Pretty easy to move up quickly,when some off the vets decide they don't want to play anymore.High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Lol
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Steve if the budget allows,I would give some serious thought to the BBKs. I ran some for more than 5 years on a Mustang almost trouble free.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 12:12 am

Just checked out the BBKs. That's about the price range I'm comfortable with considering a 3.73 conversion for the rear is probably gonna run about $900-$1000 , the ECU upgrade is going to be $350 + shipping, and the 2 Flowmaster 40s are $150 for the pair.
Still need a new Opti and water pump added to that list.

Sure would like to see some hard numbers on hp/torque increases .
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 6:35 am

Steve Smith wrote:

Still need a new Opti and water pump added to that list.

Sure would like to see some hard numbers on hp/torque increases .

Never understand why people put on new parts when the old parts are working fine,.

I,m not sure if i,ve ever come across any one dyno'ing a bone stock lt1 powered station wagon, then installing headers and dyno'ing the car again,...to get hard hp and torque increases.

When it comes to headers it depends on your skill level at installs,.

Some people are most comfortable with direct bolt in with no added modifications needed for fitment,.
If this is what you are looking for you are limited in your search,. and prices will be higher,.

Other people are comfortable with getting a product that needs 'tweaking' to fit,.

I bought a set of uncoated mild steel cheap long tube headers for an F body chassis,. and they fit right in,.
Then i had to fab up pipes with cats to match the rest of the exhaust,. it still cost me over 500cdn to do and this is going back 5-6 yrs? I put them on a 95 9c1, i sold the car and the headers lasted him 3 yrs,.

SOTP meter indicated the car could spin the tires out of the hole and 'sounded ' much faster Wink ,. but we didn't have any 'hard' numbers to verify anything,..

Waay back in the day,.i thought nothing of trimming a frame,. heating and bending all four pipes on one side, just to get clearances needed,.but adding the headers to the vehicles i was working on sometimes made a big difference,.
The LT1 manifolds with their up and over shape,. are definitely not as restrictive as some manifolds,..
and there is enough meat on them for some home made porting,..extrude honing is another option,.

Again,. it all depends on your skill level,.and if you want your engine to look like a show piece,. or be functional,.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Spending $500+ on a nice new set of headers shouldn't require any tweaking in my opinion. I have the tools, equipment and ability to do so but that doesn't mean I want to.
An article I have in a magazine called HIGH-TECH PERFORMANCE from July of 1998 was a special Impala SS issue. They tested four established companies computer chips in a 1996 Impala SS. This was done with the all stock car's results at Englishtown Raceway Park in NJ as a baseline. Then the four chips were added to the ECU and then 3 runs each were made with that chip, the car cooled down and then the next companies chip was installed and the car was run etc.

Magazines have dyno tested cold air intake systems to see if any power increases happen . With that testing as with 1/4 mile testing , a consumer doesn't have to rely on a manufactures claims.

I've explored the limits of my stock Roadmaster. It's mostly stock exhaust is in need of two replacement mufflers already. Figured since (as of most recently) I have the funds to upgrade the car's performance (somewhat), I would. Nothing radical, and no intention of going into the engine, just bolt on parts along with the rear upgrades.
At least I have a baseline figure of sorts from running at the track and I have realistic goals of looking for four to seven tenths decrease in et and perhaps 3-5 mph more mph through the traps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations   High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High perf. long tube headers. Recomendations
Page 1 of 1