GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Guy In RI

Go down 
+4
dmg4
Andebe
silverfox103
sailorbenjamin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi,
Honestly, I don't have one of these yet but I'm looking. There are some good looking deals in town. Can anyone link me to some advice on what to look for when I'm shopping? Trouble spots and such?
I'm a luddite. I like a car I can fix myself and I like a car that's upgradable. I like a car that I don't have to special order the parts for. I got 3 kids and a lot of tools. I don't care for minivans or SUVs. That sorta leaves GM and Volvo.
I have a 240 and a V90. The 240 is getting really old so I got the V90 to replace it. The V90 needs a head gasket now and I just don't have the energy to do that job in the snow so if one of you guys has an extra LT1 to put in it I'd make you a great deal. I'm a little burned out on the Volvo thing right now and a nice big V-8 would be a welcome change.
I've got good mechanical skills and I've gotten kinda familiar with OBD-II. I like it. How do the older computers compare?
I teach woodworking at a local middle school and my kids would get a real kick out of seeing me in a woody, even if it was fake. Actually, my first car was a '51 Buick woody, not a fake.
Thanks,
Ben
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 am

Hey Sailor Ben

Welcome aboard. There is plenty of knowledge on this site to help you in getting a wagon.

Being a fellow New Englander, as you know, the first thing to look out for is RUST. I would look for one that is stored for the winters or has been brought up from down south. Don't take anyone's word about not being driven in the winter, look yourself.

You should be able to find a good one for $3000, but there out there for $2000 to $4000. Don't overpay, as there are some dreamers out there.

Search around the forum, you will learn quickly.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks! Hey, that gold one in your signature has a different grill than what I usually see What's that one?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 11:20 am

The gold Caprice Wagon has an Impala grill.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 11:29 am

Welcome! Lots of good tips in the archives...Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 11:35 am

Greetings! I grew up in Scituate RI (Hope Village, really). Where are you located? Are you looking to pick up a local wagon, or are you willing to drive one home from far, far away. I've bought them as far away as San Antonio, and driven them back to upstate NY. Fun road trips. All it costs me is a cheap air fare and a few tanks of gas.
Back to top Go down
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm in West Kingston lately.  I love a road trip but there seems to be a decent enough supply of them around here.  
I was going to post a couple of sample CL ads but I'm not allowed to post links yet, being a new member. There's another one every week, from $500 to $14000 (that last one only has 23000 miles on it). There's a Chevy that I like with only 75000 miles on it for $1700 that I'm really tempted to just go ans scoop up.
I really should get rid of at least one Volvo first (I can't post the link to that ad either) and then I'll probably just wander out the door and grab the nicest looking one. But I want to do a little studying so I can make an on the spot educated decision.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 7:53 pm

Happy Hunting, I'm in Ohio and bought mine from southern Colorado. I didn't get to drive it back but got lucky with getting a sweetheart of a deal shipping it. I payed on the high end for mine, but it's a rare variant, happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Barnacle ben the sailor,..

brilliant,..

R B dar
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 10:12 pm

I might be interested in that 240.
Back to top Go down
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm

I can't PM till I've been here for seven days but I'll be away till New Yearsanyway so we can talk about the 240 then.
Back to top Go down
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Oh, and say I get a car that's pre OBD-II, What's the computer interface like and do I need a special tool to read codes and do scans?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 6:46 am

Going odbII will limit you to 1996 only models. A lot of the guys with 96s switch to ODBI. There are several tools avail for ODBI like data aster that you can hook up a PC to and monitor or even reflash you computer. Go read up on it over at the impalassforum.com as they have the same driveline as the 94-96 wagons
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 7:00 am

ODB?

There once was a agnostic dyslexic insomniac who stayed up all night worrying about whether or not there really was a Dog.
Back to top Go down
sailorbenjamin

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 8:08 pm

There is a dog. I just know it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Guy In RI Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy In RI   New Guy In RI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Guy In RI
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: The Welcome Wagon :: Introductions...-
Jump to: