GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert 96

Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Empty
PostSubject: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 5:00 am

How much is involved in installing my replacement GM year correct radio CD player in my car? I believe Rick said it was just a couple of wires and was very easy. My daughter is getting itchy for the CD player to be installed. Me too by the way. Any help will be greatly appreciated ! I don't want to mess anything up.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 7:43 am

There are 2-3 connectors on the back of the radio. Other than that it is a matter of getting the old one out and putting the new one in. You may have to remove the dash cover. Be careful with the clips, they are easy to break off. They can be repaired with a little ingenuity, and either a soldering gun and scrap plastic, or copious amounts of epoxy/polyester resin.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 8:10 am

What year is your car? On my 95, it took about 15 mins to change the radio. here are the steps:

1. Remove the two screws above the instrument cluster.
2. Remove the panel under the steering column. This is held on with the clips Fred mentioned. Just be gentle but firm and they will pop loose.
3. Open the drawer above the ashtray and the dash pocket door. Turn the ignition on, put the gear selector in 1, and tilt the wheel all the way down. Probably a good idea to set the park brake too. Ask me how I know.
4. Pop the little panel between the dash pocket door and the passenger side of the dash loose on the top. Same little clips.
5. I started on the passenger side and worked the dash panel loose. Again, the clips but once you get it started they come out fairly easy.
6. Once you have that panel removed it's a simple matter of removing the 3 bolts holding the radio, slide it out and disconnect the plug(s) and the antenna.
7. Slide the new radio in, reverse the steps and you're done!

I know this works on the 94-96 but I'm not sure about the older cars. I assume they're probably the same.

Hope this helps.
Jon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 8:13 am

Robert, you need the Buick player with the blue plug on the back (since you have a 95-96 RMW)

You do need to remove the dash face..have you done that before?

two 7mm screws above instrument cluster

tilt wheel down

open glovebox

open coin tray/ash tray

remove the long trim piece to the right of the glovebox door (pulls right out with metal clips)

Then the whole dash face (whole area from left AC vant to far right AC vent) comes off in one piece) Metal clips hold it in, be careful and you will need to set the e-brake and put the gear shifter all the way down to clear.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 8:13 am

LOL! 94X2 great minds think alike. Good morning Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 8:37 am

brokecello wrote:
LOL! 94X2 great minds think alike. Good morning Wink

Looks like we've got it covered! Good morning to you.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 4:54 pm

If you remove the tilt wheel lever after you put the wheel down, it will not give you a supprize when you bump it. BTDT.
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks everyone, I do have a 96 RMW. I've never removed the dash before so this might be a slow delicate process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon   Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installing GM correct radio CD player in my wagon
Page 1 of 1