GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just following orders...

Go down 
+5
brokecello
Lynol
lakeffect
dmg4
Andebe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Andebe

Andebe

Just following orders... Empty
PostSubject: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Its great when you get ordered to buy new wagon parts. Case in point,while traveling to dinner last night with my wife in our 94 Roady,shes proceeds to tell me if youre planning on taking this wagon to WF you have to change the ride,its way too floaty. Say no more...Summit Racing here I come. What a Face Just following orders... 12654383_1056798054341488_4714712365319286511_n
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 1:46 pm

If you order the Hotchkis rear sway bar, you'd better do it now in order to get it before July. I ordered mine in December, and it arrived on Monday. Hotchkis seems to make them on at a time when orders are received.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 6:56 pm

They might wait to do a batch of them at one time, when they get enough orders to make setting up worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Lol, nice. Don't firm it up too much though or you'll be liable to hear the opposite complaint. My step-Dad did that to one of his cars and my Mom said it was too stiff and uncomfortable to ride in, lol.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Have you changed the shocks? If you ditch the rear air ride it will improve 200%. Lol

Monroe Severe Service are a good budget performance shock.....I just switch to the Bilstein HD shocks and I would say they ride a lot nicer than the Severe Service ones. But they are kinda $$.

I've even just used a regular replacement (non air) shock from Autozone (the red ones) and they were not bad at all for cruising.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Im looking at the KYB Excel G. I used them in the OCC,with no complaints. Probably add beefier sway bars.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 10:56 pm

So your wife wants you to firm up the ride of your woody? Sounds like you got a good one, don't forget any bushings and other wear parts too.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 6:15 am

I've used Monroe severe service up front and coilovers in the back on 3 wagons, and they provide a firm but not harsh ride. It's a noticeable improvement over the OEM limp wieners. I should have the Hotchkis rear sway bar on the car and road tested by the end of the day. More later.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 am

I did the uca and the lca, both from Hotchkiss and the Hotchkiss front and rear sway bar. Great mods and it stiffens it up a bit, but not to much
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 5:21 pm

OK. I finally installed the Hotchkis rear sway bar. It makes a remarkable difference. Roll in cornering is greatly reduced; almost gone. Ride is firm but not harsh. It was a drop-in fit. Four 1/2 X 3 1/2" Grade 8 bolts, done in 15 minutes. It is tucked very nicely up and round all the under-junk too. Pics are posted under Dec 2015 Long Roof of the Month. It was a bit pricey ($290) and Hotchkis took forever to deliver it (nearly 3 months), but it is a very high quality product, fits with no fuss, and does exactly what it should.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:27 am

Is this where you sourced the correct trailing arms? http://southsidemachineperformance.com/t/gm-b-body-1978-1996-complete-rear-kits
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:39 am

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 1:57 pm

You probably don't need the adjustable LCAs unless you are going to add a lot more HP and torque later. I'd go with the simpler square tube non-adjustable replacements. They are a drop in fit, and are pre-drilled for the Hotchkis rear sway bar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxed-and-welded-Poly-control-arms-lower-for-Caprice-Impala-Cadillac-Yukon-Humme-/111936613773?hash=item1a0ff12d8d:g:nk8AAOSwVFlUD3Xj&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Shows its not compatible with 1994 Roadmaster Wagon?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 2:57 pm

The above part is compatible with the 1994 Caprice Wagon, so I'm guessing it would also fit the Buick. But, you could call Southside Machine and ask them to cross reference the part. I believe the OEM LCAs are interchangable for Chevrolet and Buick wagons, so I don't know why aftermarket LCAs would not be interchangable.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Voila!  You can order them directly through Southside Machine for $155.99, and they list them as compatible with the 91-96 Roadmaster.  

http://southsidemachineperformance.com/products/copy-of-lower-control-arms-gm-b-body-1978-1996-with-solid-lower-bushings
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 am

why does everybody have such a hangup on buying  lower control arms?

I don't think there is more than a 3 -4 people on this forum that drive their cars hard enough to need them,.

building one part of the suspension for the baja 500 makes no sense,.

Good shocks,. and adding even the clownvic rear bar makes a very noticeable difference over stock,.yes even the thinner one,.

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 11:33 am

In my case, it had a lot to do with time and money.  The stock LCAs require bracing or brackets to attach a rear sway bar due to the U-profile and stamped sheet metal construction.  If the bushings are gone on the original LCAS, you need to replace the bushings, which is an RPITA, and takes more time.  Even on the newest 1996 B-body, these things are 20 years old now.  The OEM bushings degrade quickly, and are inferior to the polymer bushings used in the Southside Machine LCAs.   By the time you've bought either, futzed with bushing replacement, or replaced the OEM LCAs with new OEM LCAs, and then welded up or bolted on brackets to attach a sway bar, you've spent at least the cost of the Southside Machine LCAs ($155 with free shipping), not to mention burning a lot of leisure time.

If you install the Southside Machine LCAs, you get a square tube profile and a flat mounting surface.  You don't need to futz with brackets, welding, or drilling.  Either the Hotchkis or the Helwig aftermarket bar will be a drop-in fit.  Four bolts and you are done.  It took me less than 15 minutes.  Yep... I could have gone with stock parts.  It would have taken a lot more time, and it wouldn't have worked nearly as well, but hey,... at least it would have cost more.  As for fitting a sway bar from a scrapyard: nothing wrong with that if you have the time.  I didn't.  I had $290 for the Hotchkis bar, and went skiing instead of spending the weekend on my back under a wreck in northern NY, hunting for a sway bar that I could make fit.  I know not everyone has that option, but I did.

In any case, my choices were not purely from ignorance or diminished mental capacity, despite what my wife might have said.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:19 am

Southside LCA's in,KYB Excel G's in,Hotchkis slated for first week in April. "Hopefully."
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 pm

deleted useless information as you already got LCAs
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Upgraded LCA's,different wagon. The 91 OCC sports Metcos,94 Roady will sport the Southside products.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just following orders...   Just following orders... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just following orders...
Page 1 of 1