GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dexcool vs. Conventional

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
harrisons13

harrisons13

Dexcool vs. Conventional Empty
PostSubject: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Good Evening, I have a few coolant questions that have been asked before. I have been driving my '93 RMW for a year, and I've put 10,000 miles on it, and its been great. The other day I was low on coolant, for some reason, the 2 years of owning the car we never checked the coolant, so my dad and I noticed orange coolant (Dexcool) at the bottom of the reservoir, he had me fill it back up with the dexcool we had from another car. So I think at one point a dealer decided switch to dexcool, and the previous owner had them start using that. Is dexcool ok for my '93 MRW? I think its time for a coolant flush soon, if I do, should I go  convential or dexcool?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks, hopefully its been completely flushed out, and completely with dexcool, but next time I get the coolant flushed, Ill most likely go with el-cheapo. Wink Yeah though, when you mix the two you get the orange sludge(Dexcrap?), and it can blow head gaskets I heard from someone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 am

Don't go by the reservoir, it can look orangish from rust build up. Take off the rad cap and check the colour.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Auto zone has a yellow coolant that can be added to either....... Use up the coolant in the jug, refill with piss, and return defective (smells like piss)  coolant to "the zone"!
Once the chemists figure out what you returned (piss) they can distill it, dye it blue, and re-sell it as DEF (diesel exhaust fluid).....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 pm

I worked at a GM Dealer from '94-'01 as a tech, and Dex-Cool caused a lot of issues, but those have all been addressed since '03 or so, so no worries at this point. Most of the coolant out there at auto parts stores, and department stores carry coolant that can be used with either coolant. I use green personally.... Posttraumatic Stress from the hundreds of intake gaskets I did on Dex filled cars.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dexcool vs. Conventional   Dexcool vs. Conventional Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dexcool vs. Conventional
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Engine-
Jump to: