GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Camping?

Go down 
+12
Winger67
Sprocket
phantom 309
vetrnz06
stewzer55
lakeffect
Andebe
AzDon
brokecello
silverfox103
steel-and-fire
Dropkick_Eddie
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 2:27 pm

I was training this last week at a different facility than I usually stay at.  Instead of making the company pay for a hotel I decided to "camp out" in my wagon!  Anybody else like to camp in their wagon? Smile
Wagon Camping? Image_zpsvkk44q3t
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 pm

I've always wanted to. Always keep a sleeping bag / thermal blanket in it for emergencies. I almost slept in it back in 2011, after driving for fifteen hours, but my mom would not let me pull off at a gas station in Tennessee at 2 A.M. Ended up at a $40 motel.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
silverfox103
silverfox103

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 3:09 pm

The company is paying for a motel? That's a no brainer......I would not be sleeping in the back of a car.

Tom
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:07 pm

I used to sleep in my wagon (1st RMW) when I traveled from Louisville - Chapel Hill for baroque cello lessons once a month.  Did that for about 6 months. I only had money for food and gas but was so thankful to have my wagon! It does make a good single sleeper with the right setup.  My favorite is laying on your back and watching the rain hit the vista glass...lulls you right to sleep.  Lol  

But man...your company should be paying for a hotel in your case! Lawd!

Last edited by brokecello on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
AzDon

AzDon

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 pm

My former neighbor who bought one of my wagons is currently living out of it in Wal-Mart's parking lot while Social Security keeps stalling on his disability case.... He bought it with the idea of having somewhere to stay no matter what....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Andebe

Andebe

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 10:21 am

Jeez,talk about mixed emotions with that last comment. Shocked Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 10:39 am

Andebe wrote:
Jeez,talk about mixed emotions with that last comment. Shocked Crying or Very sad

Not really homelessness in a RMW.....
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 11:07 am

Needs a good shower and frige installed.
Back to top Go down
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Man, hopefully your old wagon had tinted windows, Don! Wink   That doesn't sound like fun, hope his disability comes through for him!  I pretty much opted for the back of the wagon instead of driving an hour each way to the hotel every day/night after a 12 hour shift.  Plus it wasn't too bad, I had a bathroom, shower, food and coffee pot 20ft away Cool
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 am

My house has a second garage with a half bath and three ton heat/air.... Could wagon or van camp in there easily if I ever had to rent my house out...
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 12:49 pm

I haven't camped out of it, but I have no doubt it would be great to sleep in, because of *ahem* other things than may or may not have happened in the wagon. Two years in a row I've worked at Country Concert in Ft. Loramie, OH and last year my friend that works it with me and I decided we were going to stay out there, this year we're saying the same thing. One nice thing about these wagons too is we can tow pretty well too.
Back to top Go down
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Nice! I've crashed in my wagon many times after a long night of drinking! drunken I sure wish I'd of had a wagon when I was younger and always chasing women around at music festivals and campouts;)
PS the full sized blow up mattress is a must if you like being able to walk after sleeping in the back-
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 9:32 am

[quote="Dropkick_Eddie" ...  I sure wish I'd of had a wagon when I was younger and always chasing women around at music festivals and campouts...
[/quote]

That's why I drove a custom van back in the 70"s. more "head" room.
Back to top Go down
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 11:49 am

Hahaha "head room" Razz
Back to top Go down
vetrnz06

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 pm

for the past several years ive gone to the rolex 24 hr and to the Sebring 12 race (to watch the C7R Corvettes win) and i slept in my wagon. so much easier than a tent etc. the folks i meet up with have all the camping equipment,etc so its easy for me to be self contained,off the ground at nite,dry etc.after a few adult beverages all day its comfy enuf.just have to remember to not sit up to quick! if all else fails the front seat backs really recline along way too. ZZZZ
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

Havent done it yet,but its on my list of things to do with the wagon. Got some great state parks near by.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm

I,ve napped in the back of a couple of my wagons,. usually on cross country trips, but definitely need to stop for a shower before the second night,.and remembering to have something to drink is a good idea ,.montana in the summertime can get uncomfy, even at night,.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 3:01 pm

I slept in the back of my Olds when I went to the 12hrs of Sebring a few years ago. Funny thing is of the 13 wagons I've had that's the only one where the seat didn't fold down was the one I slept in lol.

Flash Gumby has a tent that attaches to the tail gate so you have a ton of extra room in there. It's pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Any pics of that floating around?
Back to top Go down
Winger67

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 11:20 pm

Reviving an old thread. Thinking about taking my 1995 Caprice wagon to EAA Airventure next week. Lookin to be hot but considering camping out solo in the back of my wagon instead of in the tent. Never really camped before except for a night here and there but any tips? Got an inflatable mat and a camping fan but any tips to beat the heat would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2022 11:45 pm

Keep the keyless remote handy so you can open the back glass easily - beats having to crawl out of the rear doors or crawl over the front seat to open the window.

Really zero privacy unless you make some curtains of some sort

It's going to be hot and stuffy inside the car unless you're ok with letting the car idle with the A/C on. Maybe get a CO detector so you wake up in the morning. Open windows will likely attract a lot of bugs/mosquitos overnight.

I'd probably sleep feet forward - that way you can sit up easily just by opening the glass?

Let us know how it goes!

Winger67 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Winger67

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 am

Good idea on the CO detector. I have one and will be sure to pack it. The event is huge and I chose to camp to give me a place to rest mid day if I choose. I have a large EZ-UP tent and may park the rear under it with mosquito netting so I can leave the back open for maximum ventilation.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 9:01 am

Winger67 wrote:
Good idea on the CO detector. I have one and will be sure to pack it.  The event is huge and I chose to camp to give me a place to rest mid day if I choose.  I have a large EZ-UP tent and may park the rear under it with mosquito netting so I can leave the back open for maximum ventilation.

you could also make screens for the front window. I would buy plastic screen and just cut it big enough to just close the door and have it cover the windows so you can leave them open and not worry about bugs, especially if you have the back open inside a screened EZ-up

Winger67 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 11:47 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
Keep the keyless remote handy so you can open the back glass easily - beats having to crawl out of the rear doors or crawl over the front seat to open the window.

Ha! I know someone who bought a retired hearse.  He had it at a weekend-long event, and decided it would be a good place for a mid-day nap.  He crawled in the back and got some sleep.

When he woke up, that was the first time he realized that the coachbuilder didn't expect that rear passengers would need to get out unassisted.  No inside door handles or window switches except for the front seat in his car.  

Quote :

It's going to be hot and stuffy inside the car unless you're ok with letting the car idle with the A/C on.  Maybe get a CO detector so you wake up in the morning.  Open windows will likely attract a lot of bugs/mosquitos overnight.

I'd probably sleep feet forward - that way you can sit up easily just by opening the glass?

The forecast for Oshkosh event shows overnight temperatures in the high 50's to mid 60's.  No need to run the a/c.  

You could get a roll of fiberglass (metal might scratch the paint) window screening and some magnets.  Cut the screen a little bigger than the window opening, and use the magnets to hold it to the door frame.  That way, you can roll the windows down without letting bugs in.

Last summer, my son and a friend went on a 4000 mile road trip.  He took the Country Squire (it's more expendable than the Roadmaster, in the event he needed to abandon ship on the other side of the country), but camping in a full size wagon should be pretty similar regardless of brand.  He is an Eagle Scout who has logged about a year's worth of nights of camping.  He slept in a tent for the parts of the trip in national parks, but during some of the intermediate portions of the trip, they would camp in the car someplace like a Walmart parking lot.  He said reclining the front seats was a lot more comfortable than stretching out in the cargo area, and had the added benefit of not having to shuffle everything around right before trying to get to sleep.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Dragonwagon wrote:
Fix Until Broke wrote:

Ha! I know someone who bought a retired hearse.  He had it at a weekend-long event, and decided it would be a good place for a mid-day nap.  He crawled in the back and got some sleep.

When he woke up, that was the first time he realized that the coachbuilder didn't expect that rear passengers would need to get out unassisted.  No inside door handles or window switches except for the front seat in his car.  

Quote :

It's going to be hot and stuffy inside the car unless you're ok with letting the car idle with the A/C on.  Maybe get a CO detector so you wake up in the morning.  Open windows will likely attract a lot of bugs/mosquitos overnight.

The forecast for Oshkosh event shows overnight temperatures in the high 50's to mid 60's.  No need to run the a/c.  

You could get a roll of fiberglass (metal might scratch the paint) window screening and some magnets.  Cut the screen a little bigger than the window opening, and use the magnets to hold it to the door frame.  That way, you can roll the windows down without letting bugs in.

Last summer, my son and a friend went on a 4000 mile road trip.  He took the Country Squire (it's more expendable than the Roadmaster, in the event he needed to abandon ship on the other side of the country), but camping in a full size wagon should be pretty similar regardless of brand.  He is an Eagle Scout who has logged about a year's worth of nights of camping.  He slept in a tent for the parts of the trip in national parks, but during some of the intermediate portions of the trip, they would camp in the car someplace like a Walmart parking lot.  He said reclining the front seats was a lot more comfortable than stretching out in the cargo area, and had the added benefit of not having to shuffle everything around right before trying to get to sleep.

I would just order some of these on amazon and slip on the door frame for ventilation.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ventilation-Comfortable-Elasticity-Retractable/dp/B09Z82BDZM/ref=asc_df_B09Z82BDZM?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852162947083&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451681515923&psc=1
Back to top Go down
Winger67

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 2:36 am

Camped out at EAA Airventure first night in the wagon.  Lucky for a cool week so staying warm pre-sunrise was actually the issue.  I agree.  I think the front seat reclined may actually be more comfortable.  I had a couple duffle bags in the back with me and it becomes difficult to move in the 4'x8' space.  There's not enough height to sit up so changing clothes is a bit difficult.  

Second night I slept in a tent for the first time since 1993.  Modern tents are a breeze to set up.  First time using my new Kelty Night Owl 2 and had it mostly set up in 15 minutes.  Much more height and room to stretch with some gear inside.  Downside is crawling out at my age is kinda awkward.  Of course, it doesn't provide as much noise isolation as the wagon either.

So I would say for an overnight rest stop, the front seat of the wagon works fine but if I'm going to be staying a while, pitch the tent.
Wagon Camping? Wagon_11

Last edited by Winger67 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added pic)

Dragonwagon and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 5:57 pm

this is the way i like to campWagon Camping? 20220711

silverfox103 and fmlm83 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wagon Camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Camping?   Wagon Camping? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Camping?
Page 1 of 1