GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008

Go down 
AuthorMessage
buickestate
buickestate

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Empty
PostSubject: new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008   new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I visited my local sign making supply outlet today, where I ordered a 15" 60' roll of light teak wood grain automotive vinyl for $245.00 CND before taxes.

Just thought I would share this information......

When the car is ready later in the spring I will install on my own. I've done a lot of tinted windows and graphic instalations, this is just a longer decal. Of course I will take pictures, might even do a youtube video of the new wood grain vinyl application.

Big Daddy, it's been my experience with clear coats and paints over vinyl graphics is that the clear coat and the vinyl expand and shrink at different rates, looks good for a year or two then it starts to break down and cracks the vinyl. Unless you know a trick that I'm not aware of....

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some quick shots of what the new vinyl looks like, it's growing on me more and more.

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Woodreplacment1
new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Woodreplacment

and yeah there is rust in the bottom of the quater hence why I'm starting the body work by the end of the month.....

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Quaterrust

____________________________________________________________________________________

the newer lower rear quater.

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Newquater1
new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Newquater2

it came off this wagon

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Lonjunkyard22

__________________________________________________________________________________

Ok I'm prepring the used doors for my wagon. these sedan doors have the blacked out "B" pillar vinyl. the method I use to remove the black vinyl is the same that I will use on the wood panels.

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Vinylremoval1
heatgun makes quick work of stripping off the vinyl
new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Vinylremoval2
the vinyl is gone but now there is some residual glue left on the door pillar
new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Vinylremoval3
with some thinners the glue glue residue wipes off
new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008 Vinylremoval4

___________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

new wood grain originally posted on ISSF on 02-08-2008
Page 1 of 1