GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Exhaust Suggestion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Exhaust Suggestion  Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust Suggestion    Exhaust Suggestion  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:51 pm

I decided to give my LT1 the rumble it needed, but didn't want it to be LOUD. Went with Flowmaster 40's, all welded on, looks wonderful.

Only changed out the stock mufflers, left the resonators, stock pipes, and all else original. I love it, it's exactly the sound I wanted. It's quiet in the car at idle with the windows up, but out back it has a nice throaty burble, and sounds great when you rev it.

Sounds mean on acceleration but is just a distant rumble at 75mph, does not take away from the road trip comfort.

Also for those that didn't know, if you take some steel wool or SOS pads and then some polishing compund to the factory dual exhaust tips they will shine up very well and look great. Easy to do and makes a huge difference in the looks.

Exhaust Suggestion  RoadmasterGS004
Back to top Go down
Hotrodder

Hotrodder

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestion    Exhaust Suggestion  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I inherited Dynomax mufflers,(17258', ...59 Supertuburo's?) without x pipe / 2.5 exhaust, no resonators and it is a loud drone at speed!! Made my own resonator by wrapping fiberglass around chicken wire cylinder and stuffing into 12" 3.5 tailpipes tips
Muffled it way down and has a nice burble , but can be heard at speed. Would like it somewhat quieter for the anticipated long trips NY - FL.
Looking to replace stufffed tips with small resonator ( maybe stock) or slightly louder than stock. About 12=14" long. NOt sure is an x pipe would assist in quieting down the system.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestion    Exhaust Suggestion  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:56 pm

An X-pipe won't make it quieter. I'm kind of surprised the Dynomax Superturbo mufflers are so loud. I had a cat-back Dynomax Monte Carlo SS system on an 85 Grand Prix with a 305 Chevy in it, and it was not loud and did not drone.

If I were you I'd dig up some stock resonators. With the 2-chamber Flowmater 40's and stock resonators my car has a really nice sound. Sounds great when you get on it, quiet on the highway, and a nice burble around town.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestion    Exhaust Suggestion  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Suggestion
Page 1 of 1