GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LED headlight upgrade

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Isurf

Isurf

LED headlight upgrade Empty
PostSubject: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 6:42 am

I finally picked up a set of LED headlights. PITA with my fat fingers to install. Only one done so far, but nobody is flashing me yet. I had to re-clock the bulb for the high beams to work right, there was no indicator that I saw to make that work. The cooling fan is very quiet, I couldn't hear it with the engine running. The plac=stic retainer ring that secures the bulb does not fit over the cooling fan. I cut the ring and dipped it in boiling water to soften it up, then slid/forced it on over the LED's. So far I am impressed with the output. When I get to the other bulb in a few days, I will photo the cuts I made in the retainer ring, and one LED with one SIlverstone ultra bulb comparison.

Here are the bulbs I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CREE-9004-HB1-4-Sided-LED-Headlight-Kit-1500W-225000LM-Hi-Lo-Beam-Bulbs-6000K-2X/446452639
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Usually there is a ring that can be removed from the bulb side to install the retainer ring. I did it the hard way the first time I got a set of LEDs.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm

There is no documentation at all. The assembly looks like a single piece. Next day off is Tuesday. I will do the other side then, and will see if the bulb can be separated from the fan.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 1:39 pm

It should be the black ring. It may have a set screw, or be threaded.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you Fred, again...
The black collar on the bulbs twists loose then slides off. I butchered the retainer ring for nothing. One more thing on my pick/pull list. Still happy to have the better lighting. I will slowly upgrade more bulbs to LED. It's hard to beat more light from less power.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 8:46 pm

The turn signals and emergency lights need an electronic flasher to flash. The LEDs do not draw enough current to activate the stock flashers. There are also a couple of lights that change polarity when the headlight switch (or twilight sentinel) is engaged. There are lamps available that fit the CHSL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED headlight upgrade   LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED headlight upgrade
Page 1 of 1