GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bigs and Littles?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 am

Has anyone in the group ever tried running taller tires in the rear and shorter ones in the front?I know the ABS
can be effected by the two different diameters but by how much?Currently running 235/50/17 all the way around.
I want to go to a 255/55/17 or a 235/60/17 on the rear and keep the 235/50 on the fronts.These tires are like new
with less than 5000 miles on them.
I have always liked the big and little look but dont know how much the ABS would be affected.Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
Have a great time at the wagonfest and we will be there next year no matter what.
Take Care All
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Come On Guys   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Took my girls to the vet today and used the speedometer on my GPS against my speedo and its off about 10%
at a true 75 mph.I have the gear to correct the speedo but I dont like the tach showing 2550rpm at 75mph.
Went from about 2200 to 2550rpm and thats too much.
Even with my a/c on high I can now hear the engine over the fan now and have never noticed that before.These
Continetal TouringContact are very quiet and ride well,just wish they were 2.5 inches taller.
Well I quess everyone is too busy to comment so guess its time to start looking for a set of 4 taller tires.
Have A Great WAGONFEST
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 pm

What size are your current tires?
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Too Short   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:09 am

Whats up Stingroo hope all is well.The tires on my car now are 235/50/17 and about 26 inches tall.
Take Care
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Yeah, I'm alright. Wishing I was at the fest too. lol

Maybe try the 235/55/17 tires everyone talks about from the Mustang? Might be a good fit for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:46 am

Yep, go get some Pirelli 235/55/17 Mustang take-off's. I love mine!

Back to top Go down
firewood

firewood

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:29 pm

You know there's a wheel and tires section, right?

For a while, I ran 255/35r20's on the front and 265/35r22's on the rear of my wagon with no ABS issues. Worked fine.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 pm

who is this firewood person? do they have a wagon? i can't remember the last time i saw them post,.
isn't the issf their home?
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 pm

I put new front tires on my OCC today. I already had put 275/60/15s on the rear and I chose 205/60/15's for the front, rationalizing that they would result in a 1.5 inch drop (versus 215/75's that had been on there)
Two things I hadnt considered:
1) how lonely such a short tire would look in the fenderwell
2) That having two drastically different sized tires would upset the ABS and turn on the ABS light.
I think maybe I should have chosen 215/65/15's for the front like I did on my burb (which looks right)
I hope looking at those undersized tires and ABS light will eventually stop pi**ing me off, so I don't hafta buy more tires...

Yes I know this thread is old, but I'da started a new one otherwise!
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Don ,hows the wagon look now?Thats a big difference between tire heights.
Jim
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 9:22 am

I personally dont think it looks right. It IS 1.5 inches lower though... (I had to photoshop it kinda crappy to make the tire-to-fenderwell visible in the pic)

Bigs and Littles? Small-front-tires

If I lower enough to tuck THESE tires the air dam will be scrapin
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

i'm running 235/75/15s in the back and 225/75/15s upfront on the 94 RMW with no abs light. Had the tires and only needed two on there.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 pm

AzDon wrote:
I personally dont think it looks right. It IS 1.5 inches lower though... (I had to photoshop it kinda crappy to make the tire-to-fenderwell visible in the pic)

Bigs and Littles? Small-front-tires

If I lower enough to tuck THESE tires the air dam will be scrapin

Have you swapped the fronts out yet. I like the Astro wheels but those front tires for sure look too small.

Really pretty car though!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Yeah those fronts are TINY.

Get some springs. Smile
Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Not that it matters but I agree with Mike and Ray about those small front tires.And yes its a
good looking wagon,its an oldsmobile.
Jim
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Well, I tried the 215/65's from my burb on there and the 205's on the burb and both cars are gonna look pretty much okay once I swap the tires.
Heights from tireerack.com:
215/7515= 27.7 inches
2156515= 26 inches
2056015= 24.7
Tirerack specs also show revs per mile so when I'm done I can calculate the percentage difference that either is or isnt lighting the ABS light.
Update:
After a little calculating using tirerack provided specs, I've determined that my 275/60/15's (rear tires) turned 98% of the revolutions that the 215/75's turn in a mile and dont upset the ABS
88% of the revs that the 205/60's turn that DOES upset the ABS
The 275/60's (rear tires) turn 92% of the revs of the 215/65/15's and I can happily report that this difference does not light up the ABS light.

My conclusion is that you can DV8 front/rear sizes 8% without an ABS light, but NOT 12%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bigs and Littles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigs and Littles?   Bigs and Littles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bigs and Littles?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Wagon General Discussion-
Jump to: