GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What a hot mess

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Ugh! So with WF FL coming up and me not having my own wagon to bring in the last 4 years, I'm excited to be back in the game. So.....today I had some free time and was trying to spruce up my new to me 95.

It's pretty clean with 72K (lowest mileage I've owned out of 14 of them), but has a few needs. Two of which are painting the door pillars black and putting a proper bowtie on the SS Grille. Simple right?

So I've successfully painter door pillars before, but this time decided to go with a vinyl wrap. I took some measurements and figured a piece of 12" x 60" wold be more than adequate to do both sides at the B pillar and the rear door. Ordered online and no issues.......until I cut a piece today and it's a little short Evil or Very Mad . So anyway, I decided the whole thing was a bad idea today with 25 mph breeze, so I bagged it. I think I will be okay, just need to do alot of measuring to make the right cuts to maximize what I'm working with.

SO on to the next project. Operation glue a bow tie onto the SS grille. Simple right? I test fit and it seems ok. I prep the surface and put the glue on the piece. It goes on okay, but I was a little liberal with the glue. I should have just left it along, but no, I can do it better. I pull it off and now the friggin glue goes all over the place. I grab a rag and make it worse. Then I grab mineral spirits and it starts taking the paint off the grille. GREAT. I switch to acetone as the mineral spirits isn't getting the sticky glue off. Well the acetone is good for the glue but not the paint. Now the center of the grille is a hot mess.

I get it all cleaned up and think no biggie, I have Duplicor . Well the primer also came off in parts so now it's all blotchy. I'm hoping a couple of layers with make it less noticeable... 5 min job turned into 2 hours siiiiigh.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 am

Sound like something I would do.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

I feel you, Sprocket... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Oh yeah, been there, done that.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 pm

i think we could all tell stories along those lines... i got my sign around here someplace that says "I'm with stupid" with an arrow pointing up
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

What a hot mess Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a hot mess   What a hot mess Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What a hot mess
Page 1 of 1