GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VATS help needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sschreiner5

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 1:14 pm

I need help with VATS.  I've searched this forum and the IMSS forum and I'm missing something.  I have a 94 Caprice Wagon.  I recently installed a Bulldog Security remote start unit, I had unit laying around from a previous project and installed it in the wagon primarily for the remote door locks but since I as under there I figured I might as well hook it all up.  I do have the 791 security bypass module.  The 791 module was not able to learn the car and when attempting to start the car via the remote started the passkey fault light comes on.  If I insert the key in the ignition the remote start will start the car. I tried to do the resistor fix but it didn't help, did I miss a step?  I measured my key to be 888 ohms so I then got a 1K pot and adjusted it to 888 ohms and attempted to install it in the car but it did not change my results.  I unplugged the two white wires in the orange tube and wired my resistor to the white and purple wires that I unplugged the orange tube from, is that correct?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 pm

I can tell you from personal experience, an aftermarket alarm system raised havoc with a 94 Caprice that I had. It caused all kinds of electrical isssues including the transmission. All cleared once I got rid of the alarm system. Others have had the same problem.

Tom

Back to top Go down
sschreiner5

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
I can tell you from personal experience, an aftermarket alarm system raised havoc with a 94 Caprice that I had.  It caused all kinds of electrical isssues including the transmission.  All cleared once I got rid of the alarm system.  Others have had the same problem.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. I don't foresee any issues with the unit I have installed (I have used this model remote start before on another car) but If I do run into any issues I will disable it, good tip. I really only wanted the keyless entry function so If I'm not able got remote start function working that's fine its just that I'm so close it would be a shame to quit now.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Go for it!

The car was originally my brother's, He bought it new. I bought it from him for my oldest daughter to take to college. He had an aftermarket system installed. That car ate multiple alternators and other electrical issues that he never quite figured out.

Shortly after I bought it, the car went into limp mode. Long story short, a grand later, problem was figured out---aftermarket alarm.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Looks like you are doing the right things. There is a timer in the VATS system (10min?), so if you keep trying to start it following an incorrect resistance, it may not work immediately.

I also echo Tom. I personally had 2 Bulldog remote start systems (warrantied) years ago, which kept going haywire. Dinging door chimes, randomly turning on parking lights, and my favorite, engaging the starter while the car was already running. GOOD RIDDANCE! Perhaps you may have better luck.

FYI, VATS can be deleted via a reflash on the PCM, if you can't get it figured out. I far prefer pulling the PCM to crawling under the dash. I may be biased, as I own www.turbosgarage.com (shameless plug).
Back to top Go down
sschreiner5

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Garrett Crozier wrote:
Looks like you are doing the right things. There is a timer in the VATS system (10min?), so if you keep trying to start it following an incorrect resistance, it may not work immediately.

I also echo Tom. I personally had 2 Bulldog remote start systems (warrantied) years ago, which kept going haywire. Dinging door chimes, randomly turning on parking lights, and my favorite, engaging the starter while the car was already running. GOOD RIDDANCE! Perhaps you may have better luck.

FYI, VATS can be deleted via a reflash on the PCM, if you can't get it figured out. I far prefer pulling the PCM to crawling under the dash. I may be biased, as I own www.turbosgarage.com (shameless plug).

Garrett, thanks for the reply. Ill keep a close eye on it and if I see anything strange happen I know what to do. I'm pretty good with electronics even down to the component level. I'm aware of the programming option and I also hate crawling under the dash so I may go that route. I followed the link you gave and I like what I see, I may be in contact.

Im going to give the resistor another try, I wonder if I didn't have a good connection due to the connectors I used, my wires may have been too small for the connector to properly make contact.
Back to top Go down
sschreiner5

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Ok guys I tried the resistor again and it’s working!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VATS help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS help needed   VATS help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VATS help needed
Page 1 of 1