GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The old wagon saved my life

Go down 
+4
rcktpwrd
94Woody
silverfox103
Jdeshler
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jdeshler

The old wagon saved my life Empty
PostSubject: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 3:16 am

I started a thread here about 4 years ago when I was getting the spaceship up to speed. I put 50k miles on it and it NEVER let me down!

I run under a truck at 5am, no lights, never saw him. I was running 60mph and never hit the brakes. Spent christmas in a coma and celebrated 2 of my 4 kids birthdays in the hospital and THANKFUL I could.

Now, I need another lt1 wagon! rendeer
The old wagon saved my life Img_3111
The old wagon saved my life Screen12
The old wagon saved my life Screen13
Bought my wife a basset hound the night before the wreck and she became my therapy dog.. Meet mini
The old wagon saved my life Resize10
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 9:08 am

You were one lucky man, that's all I can say! Cute dog.

Tom
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 9:28 am

Yikes. Glad you came out of that alive. Another member here had a wagon do the same for him.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 11:22 am

94Woody wrote:
Yikes. Glad you came out of that alive. Another member here had a wagon do the same for him.

I believe that was Pat "buickestate". I know it's hard to believe but his looked as bad.

Tom
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 3:17 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
94Woody wrote:

I believe that was Pat "buickestate".  I know it's hard to believe but his looked as bad.

Tom

Correct. One of the threads about his current wagon has some pictures of the wrecked one in it.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 5:11 pm

DAMN!!!! Shocked

Glad to hear you are now doing OK! Cool
Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 11:54 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
You were one lucky man, that's all I can say!  Cute dog.

Tom

Thank you sir! Shes a spoiled old Bassett now Laughing

94Woody wrote:

I appreciateit brother! Glad to be around, any other car and it wouldnt have gone as well drunken

silverfox103 wrote:
94Woody wrote:

I believe that was Pat "buickestate".  I know it's hard to believe but his looked as bad.

Tom

I'm going to see if I can find his forum! Thank you

94Woody wrote:
silverfox103 wrote:
94Woody wrote:

Tom

Correct. One of the threads about his current wagon has some pictures of the wrecked one in it.

would you happen to have the link?

rcktpwrd wrote:
DAMN!!!!  Shocked

Glad to hear you are now doing OK! Cool

thank you! Stuck around a little longer to keep these kids straight Laughing

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 10:20 am

Amazing survival. Hope you are getting around fine now. There are still a few good wagons around, so happy hunting. I hope the insurance company took care of you financially.

I T-boned a car in the mid 80s. I was going about 55 when it pulled out from in front of a stopped dumpster truck. I had about the length of the dumpster truck to apply my brakes. I think I left about 10 feet of skid marks before I hit the car. The only real injury was a chipped ankle bone, and bruised chest from the seatbelt. The seatbelt stopped me from hitting the steering wheel by about an inch (before airbags).
Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 10:32 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Amazing survival. Hope you are getting around fine now. There are still a few good wagons around, so happy hunting. I hope the insurance company took care of you financially.

I T-boned a car in the mid 80s. I was going about 55 when it pulled out from in front of a stopped dumpster truck. I had about the length of the dumpster truck to apply my brakes. I think I left about 10 feet of skid marks before I hit the car. The only real injury was a chipped ankle bone, and bruised chest from the seatbelt. The seatbelt stopped me from hitting the steering wheel by about an inch (before airbags).

Thank you sir! I am being represented through it all. I never blacked out actually and remember every detail of it. The most dramatic thing other than the noise was watching the dash go up over my head! I broke my sternum bone in 2 (was pressing on my hearts lower main artery), 8 ribs, both ankles, both heels, my right tibia fibula (open compound) and left thumb. He tried to drive away but wound up dragging me about 100' down the road. He did come back to me and let me use his phone. You dont realize who means the most until you're laying there about to go and think of who you want to call on the phone  Embarassed.

Anyways, enough of that!  sunny I'm glad you recovered well from your invident My seat belt and air bags are what saved my life.. I was mad for the first month I was awake because of my car  Evil or Very Mad  Razz

Last edited by Jdeshler on Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 11:02 am

I am not surprised at the injuries. You are fortunate that the dash did not decapitate you. It appears that you were sharing the passenger compartment with the engine.

The decisions we make in those circumstances are not necessarily logical. I had a brick cell phone, called my mom, and then turned the phone off???. I did get knocked out for a moment. Had a similar neck stretch that killed Dale Earnhardt, but not to that degree. I pushed the door of the Monte Carlo that I hit  in a foot+ and the car was not driveable. The woman in the car must not have had her seat belt on, because I remember seeing her flying around in the car before I got an intimate view of the steering wheel, and passed out. Woke up with a start in the seat, and hurt a lot of places.
Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 11:44 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I am not surprised at the injuries. You are fortunate that the dash did not decapitate you. It appears that you were sharing the passenger compartment with the engine.

The decisions we make in those circumstances are not necessarily logical. I had a brick cell phone, called my mom, and then turned the phone off???. I did get knocked out for a moment. Had a similar neck stretch that killed Dale Earnhardt, but not to that degree. I pushed the door of the Monte Carlo that I hit  in a foot+ and the car was not driveable. The woman in the car must not have had her seat belt on, because I remember seeing her flying around in the car before I got an intimate view of the steering wheel, and passed out. Woke up with a start in the seat, and hurt a lot of places.

I was sharing it with cylinders 345678 and a 4l60e lol.. For some odd reason I was able to recall my fathers house phone and my wife's new cell number.. I had never been able to remember her number before that morning.  I never saw the truck until I saw pictures a few weeks later when I woke up. The first thing I did when the glass stopped flying was opened the door(still cant believe it opened), looked at my legs, the condition of the steering wheel then realized I couldn't find my phone.

I'll bet she thinks about that seat belt after that incident! I'm not poking fun but sometimes it takes something like that to engrain safety.
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 7:04 am

Holy cow! I am glad to see that you are OK. A smaller car would have not done so well. Wishing you a full recovery. I am sure you should be able to find another wagon. Still quite a few of these still around if you look in the right places.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 9:49 am

Quote :
I was mad for the first month I was awake because of my car  Evil or Very Mad  Razz

that made me laugh!

Even though these cars are big heavy brutes, they're still older tech regarding crash safety/survivability.

I always wonder why the official crash rating for front passenger is worse than driver on these.

My biggest concern has always been neck trauma because even with the headrest all the way up it is terribly inadequate (6' frame)...

however, just as comfortable if not more so as my old 68 250se seats were.

I almost had a wreck like that in 2000 - was in soCal at night heading towards hemet from long beach in a 91 cressida with 5 people and a cat - which can be distracting.
going about 75+ and at the last second i spot a box truck in my lane stopped on the freeway with no lights. - quick reaction time saved us all from a likely end.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Reading your story gave me a brief moment of PTSD. I totaled a vehicle in December of last year with little to no braking. Shudder...I am glad the ol' girl protected you. Wagon hunting for your next one should have has health benefits to aid in your recovery. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 3:45 pm

Danr63 wrote:
Holy cow! I am glad to see that you are OK. A smaller car would have not done so well. Wishing you a full recovery. I am sure you should be able to find another wagon. Still quite a few of these still around if you look in the right places.  

Thank you sir! I'm back to chasing and whooping kids again lol.. I had one come to me in the last expected place!

My friend bought both of these cars from his aunt in law and only paid 3 or 500 bucks or so for the pair (I don't really recall the exact price). He kept the solid black one and gave me the one I unfortunately wrecked.. last Christmas he gave me the black one too!!

He was with me almost every other day in the hospital

HeThe old wagon saved my life 20220410

Serendipity96 wrote:
Quote :
I was mad for the first month I was awake because of my car  Evil or Very Mad  Razz

that made me laugh!

Even though these cars are big heavy brutes, they're still older tech regarding crash safety/survivability.

I always wonder why the official crash rating for front passenger is worse than driver on these.

My biggest concern has always been neck trauma because even with the headrest all the way up it is terribly inadequate (6' frame)...

however, just as comfortable if not more so as my old 68 250se seats were.

I almost had a wreck like that in 2000 - was in soCal at night heading towards hemet from long beach in a 91 cressida with 5 people and a cat - which can be distracting.
going about 75+ and at the last second i spot a box truck in my lane stopped on the freeway with no lights. - quick reaction time saved us all from a likely end.

I'm STILL mad man. That one winded me bad!

I don't think I would have survived in any other car. I'm 6'10" and this is the only car I've ever owned I could get my knees under the dash in. My tahoe would have likely broken my femur bones and those are harder to recover from

My man, if you'd gone under that truck that would have been HORRIBLE! Lots of decapitations here in southern Alabama from going under loaded log trucks in the early morning

Andebe wrote:
Reading your story gave me a brief moment of PTSD. I totaled a vehicle in December of last year with little to no braking. Shudder...I am glad the ol' girl protected you. Wagon hunting for your next one should have has health benefits to aid in your recovery. Smile

I think what saved me was never seeing the truck. If I had had time to tense up it may have been worse!

Glad you pulled through yours and thank you very much for the kind words!

rcktpwrd and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 5:25 pm

That is so awesome of your friend! The old wagon saved my life 1f60e The old wagon saved my life 1f60e
Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2022 12:05 pm

Back in my yard in nearly 3 years

The old wagon saved my life 20220810
The old wagon saved my life Img_2011
The old wagon saved my life 20220811
The old wagon saved my life 20220812

What it looked like the morning I left for work

The old wagon saved my life Screen23

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The old wagon saved my life   The old wagon saved my life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The old wagon saved my life
Page 1 of 1