GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Valve cover gaskets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ewotha2

Valve cover gaskets Empty
PostSubject: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Anyone have any tips for removing the valve cover on the passenger side on '95 Roadmaster sedan?

I got the alternator out of the way, all of the bolts off, and the valve cover loosened up, but it's getting hung up on stuff in the back.

Anything else that needs to come off or should it be able to come out with just removing the alternator?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 5:28 pm

What's it hung up on? The trans dipstick tube?
Back to top Go down
Ewotha2

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 5:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah, the transmission dipstick tube, and the hoses going into the heater core.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Just push them out of the way. Both will flex. If you need to, there is a bolt for the trans tube on the back of the block.

However... the valve cover gaskets on these are really good. Are you sure that's your problem? It's a lot more common for the back of the intake to be the problem.
Back to top Go down
Ewotha2

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 9:22 pm

I noticed a small oil leak coming down from up above on the bottom of the motor.

We looked at it from underneath on a lift and thought it might be the valve cover gaskets leaking slightly.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to change the valve cover gaskets, they're cheap enough and I did the other side.

My oil cooler line has a tiny leak too, I'm wondering if that could also be running down and getting on the bottom of the motor
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Intake Manifold. The only gaskets are where it bolts to the heads. The ends that sit against the block are silicone/RTV. Pretty much every single small block chevy I have ever owned has needed this repaired. LT1, TPI, TBI, Carbs.
Back to top Go down
Ewotha2

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm going to try one more time today to get that valve cover off.

You guys are probably right about the intake gasket, I've already got this all apart though so might as well change the valve cover gasket.
Back to top Go down
Ewotha2

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Got it off. Wink

Just pulled up as much as I could on the hoses and wire harness.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Like has been said check the last two bolts on either side. I bought a 94 Caddy Fleetwood about 6 months or so ago. Just getting around to checking those bolts today. They weren't loose, but they definitely needed to be snugged up.

The oil cooler lines are a pain in the neck, they always leak. Whenever those lines leak, I eliminate the oil filter adapter and cooler lines and replace it with and oil filter adapter from a Caprice that does not have the lines.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Ewotha2

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Got it all back together and running!

Thanks for the help guys!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 5:13 pm

Make sure you tighten those manifold bolts.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover gaskets   Valve cover gaskets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valve cover gaskets
Page 1 of 1