GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Loose Interior Mirror

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
oldsbattlecruiser

Loose Interior Mirror Empty
PostSubject: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 am

Hello all. Does anybody know how to tighten up the interior mirror? I've had a dash/reverse camera mirror on mine and the mirror sinks down in aim due to being unable to support the extra weight. Anybody know a trick to tighten up the mirror some to support this extra weight? Thanks.

Warren
'92 OCC
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 8:50 pm

There are no adjustments. You could possibly put a soft glue on the ball joint(s) that is drooping. Silicone sealer might work. Your other option is replace the mirror with a stiffer set of ball sockets.
Back to top Go down
oldsbattlecruiser

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 8:41 pm

Fred,

Thanks for your answer. I kind of thought as much. Glue or sealer might work, but doesn't seem a good long term solution. Besides. I never seem to sit as upright from day to day. Maybe I'm shrinking? Laughing

I've heard of people separating the mirror from the mount ball, slipping a portion from a latex glove in, then putting the assembly back together. I'm really unsure whether I would try this, given the aging plastic on a 28-year old car.

Thanks again.

Warren
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 9:06 pm

I think I have a couple spare compass mirrors. $25 plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
oldsbattlecruiser

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 3:29 am

Fred,

Thank-you. My stock mirror is actually fine - just cannot support the dash cam mirror fastened to it. I can always switch to a velcro mounted dash cam on the windshield. The issue is more so installing a reverse camera. I'd have to find a logical place to mount a screen on the dash somewhere. Too bad the radio is mount is only a DIN and a half sized.

Warren
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 am

I was working on something like that, and the unit I was going to use was a 7 inch screen. It just about fit the opening in the dash. I think a 6 inch would fit almost perfectly. Another option would be to make a console extending down from under the ash tray and mount it there. You could design it to have a tilt to make it easy to see from the driver perspective. I even thought about mounting it on the A pillar, but that might obstruct your view for driving, unless it was high on the pillar. It would look sort of awkward as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose Interior Mirror   Loose Interior Mirror Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loose Interior Mirror
Page 1 of 1