GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shrimpNE

Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Empty
PostSubject: Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!   Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Do not tell me not to use Drive Thru.
I just cannot do that.

I noticed once this week and once last year
I can be at the drive thru and all of a sudden, as I turn the steering wheel
to negotiate the turn I get a very scary Grinindg sound as if I am digging a
Screw Driver tip into the rim of the pulley on the power steering pump.

Very metalic, very threatening sound.

Then of course , when I am leaving and driving away
it is perfectly quiet.

I also have found it to be perfectly quiet when leaving the
driveway from home, on the open road, and driving thru
neighborhoods.

But when stopped it does this terrible noise.
But not all the time.

I am wondering if it is a combo problem
or is there such a thing as the power steering
pulley rubbing on a nearby object, too much play in the
pump shaft etc. ??

Experience of other appreciated.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!   Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Check the Harmonic Balancer for slippage.
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!   Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 6:50 pm

I ordered a Harmonic Balancer and I started looking at videos how to install it. All the videos concentrate on the Crank Shaft Pulley Removal. I think I only need to remove the three bolts and the Balancer.
The Crank Shaft of the engine turns freely when I try to remove the three mounting bolts. Will I be able to put a Breaker Bar on the Crank Shaft Bolt head and hold it from turning ( it will want to rotate to the left ) while I use my other hand to turn the Balancer bolts which I have to turn to the left, and they want to stay "tight" to the right ? I think that is the way. I do not know if there is an object on the engine block that I can rest a bar on through the openings in the Damper center to create a blocking action to the rotation of the crank. I do not want to crack something like the water pump or the Optispark. 1996 RMW is my car. thanks for any help! This is a project weekend. I need my car back with Power Steering.
Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!   Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Sunday Afternoon- I did take off the pulley while leaving the crank device installed.
Then I was able to take a two jawed gear puller and remove the damper component. I instaslled the new damper. I got a small amount of torque in the three bolts that hold it in. However I think it needs more torque. How can I hold the Crank Steady while torque is applied to the three Harmonic Damper bolts?
This would seem essential to accomplish. I checked for instructions on the race pulley web sites but did not find one yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!   Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Steering- Fabulous Grinding noise when turning wheel at Drive Thru windows!
Page 1 of 1