GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
booster

Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Empty
PostSubject: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 6:50 pm

If you have one or know where to find on, let me know.

It does need to have programming in and include the donor VIN, though. I need to put it in the RMW to get the stupid Jet DST tuner to read it and program it. Jet tells me it will not ever be able to recognize the Buick version of the PCM program so it kick out a fault.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 10:47 pm

Are you SERIOUS!? It can't program the Buick version of the code?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 8:09 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Are you SERIOUS!?  It can't program the Buick version of the code?

This is what I got for Jet when I asked about why I couldn't read the PCM in our 96 RMW

Quote :
It means that we have never dis-assembled that operating system so we don’t have software for it.

The PCM part numbers are the same on a bunch of GM applications but the operating system software and calibration numbers in the

software on the PCM are vehicle specific , Chevrolet uses different operating systems then Buick or Cadillac for instance. That’s why we don’t list

the DST as compatible for your specific vehicle.

I suspect the guys that are able to use the DST in a Buick have done a PCM swap with a Caprice or an Impala to make it work. The DST will NOT program a blank PCM

if you try to do the swap the PCM your installing needs to have the OEM software on it for the DST to be able to read it, when you buy a PCM from the dealer they come blank

only with a boot loader program installed.

What I also have found out is that those that are doing the Buick programming are using the old TunerCat with the OBD2 option which doesn't appear to have the same issue. Of course Jet should know that, but they said nothing about it.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 7:27 pm

I was not aware of any odb2 tuning options. I am looking to change rear ratio and tire size. Is there any feedback on this product?

Thanks,

Tom
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Isurf wrote:
I was not aware of any odb2 tuning options. I am looking to change rear ratio and tire size. Is there any feedback on this product?

Thanks,

Tom

Jet has issued an update that makes the DST now work with the Buicks, so pretty much all of the 1996 models except maybe the Devilles are covered and should work. I have read and downloaded a test tune with one minor change just to see if it would write OK and it did, with Windows 10 laptop.

Reviews for the DST are not favorable in a lot of cases. They have had lots of communication issues when you needed a serial to usb adapter in the past and Jet customer service has been heavily criticized. I didn't have any communication issues with the built in usb they have now, once I got the port assignments straightened out and used the right one.

Be aware there are no real instructions for the unit aside from some minor navigating ones. No tuning help at all, so it is all learn on your own.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala   Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for 1996 5.7 pcm from a Caprice or Impala
Page 1 of 1