GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?

Go down 
+3
jayoldschool
rcktpwrd
sdowney717
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowney717

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Empty
PostSubject: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 11:12 pm

It is slowly dropping down in the back and held up only by the center area.
That fabric is a light blue color and thin.
Seems the foam is intact.
I dont have a clue about ever matching that light blue color if you had to get new headliner.
The paint color is light adriatic blue metallic.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 8:32 am

The headliner is/was coming down in places in the Wife's wagon. She read about using white Elmer's glue to put it back in place. It seems to be holding up fine so far. Just have to spread the glue well otherwise you get some lines showing. Otherwise it looks pretty good, way better then the headliner hanging...
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 am

No. Once it starts to come down, they headliner needs to come out, fabric pulled off, all old foam scraped/sanded off the board, and new foam-backed fabric glued to the board. Not expensive to DIY, and not difficult, just takes time.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 11:44 am

I have used spray adhesive to put it back but it just starts to fall off in other places. After decades of absorbing heat and moisture the glue begins to fail and the cloth separates from the foam.

Replacing the foam backed material is an easy job. Time consuming but still easy.

The old cloth pulls right off and the foam is easily removed with a wire wheel in a drill.

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? EM6Qx6u

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? AxZVYay

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? 886hdzQ

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? EgVY8hu

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? GdSeTw2

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? FMqyTK4
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm

My biggest concern is cracking the plastic edge moldings. How are you removing them? I do have one of those fork tools.
How and which ones must come off?

I did find a website listing a light blue color, likely generic.
Any ideas about a color match?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Remove:
- visors
- hooks
- dome light
- A/B/C/D pillar trim

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 8:14 pm

You do not have to remove the C pillar trim, just loosen them, and you can slip it to the sides. Beware there are sharp points on the pillar tops. Put some tape on them to keep from damaging the new fabric. If you have a Roadmaster, or a 91 OCC, the area along the sides of the vista glass is extremely fragile. If you break it, use some thin fiberglass and resin to reinforce the areas after you align them.

94Woody and Walterf like this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 9:16 am

The peel and wirebrush trick is exactly what the "we-come-to-you" headliner replacement guys do.

One of the few non-DIY things that is well worth the bucks.

sherlock9c1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 7:42 pm

True but being a career wrench turner my entire life means I'm not paying anyone to do anything I can do myself. There is no such thing as non DIY on these cars.

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 5:57 am

""There is no such thing as non DIY on these cars.""

Alignment?
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 7:50 am

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am

My hat is off to you for avoiding a trip to Laseralign.

Do you roll your car off of the rig and then back on after each adjustment?

Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Yes, I have done that too.
Once a few years ago, I took in a Chevy 1975 Impala wagon for an alignment, nothing special on it. The 2 techs were looking at and had no idea what to do...at first. I had to explain to them it uses shims on the upper control arm, and there are nuts with lng studs holding it to the frame. WOW, can you believe that? See they had never seen such an old car.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 4:28 pm

"" they had never seen such an old car.""

I get that from my Doctor all the time.

sdowney717 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
My hat is off to you for avoiding a trip to Laseralign.

Do you roll your car off of the rig and then back on after each adjustment?

The car was cycled through the suspension travel (both loaded and unloaded) and the measurements were repeated several times and always within 0.1 degrees.

We'll see how good I did when I actually take it to an alignment shop and compare their results with mine Smile
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
""There is no such thing as non DIY on these cars.""

Alignment?

Well, we have a Hunter machine at work, so yes. Smile

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 6:07 am

""Well, we have a Hunter machine at work, so yes.""

Stuff at Work really shouldn't qualify as DIY. Kind of like your neighbor borrowing all your tools and then telling everyone what a "craftsman" they are.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 6:10 am

""compare their results with mine""

Based on some of the typical "technicians" using even the most advanced systems, I'll put my money on your hard earned results.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
""Well, we have a Hunter machine at work, so yes.""

Stuff at Work really shouldn't qualify as DIY. Kind of like your neighbor borrowing all your tools and then telling everyone what a "craftsman" they are.

Fine.

So go with yeah, I can align a car with a tape measure and a few other items. Aligned semi trucks for years without a "machine" and most people came to us because we could do better than any machine. We had a special setup, wish I could remember the name, but it was just some L shaped brackets with lasers in them and some plastic triangles with the specs marked on them. The rest was tape measures and a digital protractor.

Why does it matter where the neighbor got the tools though? If he can do the work he is indeed crafty, much more than the folks that have to pay for oil changes and wiper blade installs.

Hell, plenty of folks use loaner tool programs from parts stores.

My tools are at work.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?   can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can you reglue hanging fabric coming loose off the foam?
Page 1 of 1