GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to the Forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi everyone,
Just joined and look forward to getting assistance and offering it when I am able. Bought a "96 Roadmaster wagon in early 2020. Two owner, with about 80k miles. Have just turned over 90k and it's running great. I include a  picture. Previous owner made some changes.  Added K&N inlet filter and Magnaflow mufflers, I presume to improve breathing of the LT1 and maybe get some additional HP. Also changed out radio for an Alpine set with Bluetooth which is a great addition. Other than that very nice original condition. Looking forward to many more miles.

Last edited by Bilwit on Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add picture)
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Bilwit - Welcome. Sounds like you've a nice wagon there.

Once you get a few more posts, you'll be able to post pictures.

Careful with the K&N - they're not great filters and can cause MAF sensor and engine damage if improperly maintained.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 8:38 pm

welcome aboard. Cool
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 am

Thanks for the welcome. Just learning how to use the site. Couldn't find how to reply without the quote. I had tried to include a picture on my post but it didn't attach. How do you get one on by your name?

More importantly is the stock filter better? I still have all the parts to re-install them. I just cleaned the K&N air inlet and oil breather and will pay close attention. Kept clean are they ok or is the stock better to use? Or other aftermarket ones better? Certainly don't want to risk any engine damage. Changing the oil at 5k and does not use any between changes. Just had oil leaks fixed with new sensor and oil cooler lines. At this stage not performing maintenance myself but think I found a good shop.

Thanks again for any advice you'd like to offer. And yes it is a very clean wagon. Very happy with the purchase so far.  

Fix Until Broke wrote:
Bilwit - Welcome.  Sounds like you've a nice wagon there.

Once you get a few more posts, you'll be able to post pictures.

Careful with the K&N - they're not great filters and can cause MAF sensor and engine damage if improperly maintained.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 11:59 am

Bilwit - You can just scroll down and type in the white box below the last post to not have the quote, or just delete what you want if you do quote a post.

I haven't tried to put a profile picture by my name, so unfortunately not much help there.

My opinion is that the stock air filter is very good at filtration and keeping the engine quiet. There might be a few HP lost at the high RPM/high Power range.

A couple reasons for a K&N is to hear more engine noise and to get the last 2% of power out of the engine. There are other aftermarket air filter/box assemblies that provide excellent filtration and more dirt holing capacity as well.

It's up to you to decide what is the best for your situation and what you're doing with the car.

Bilwit likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 1:08 am

Another vote for the stock air filter. A GM powertrain engineer I know has repeatedly said "the best oil filter is a good air filter." Think about it - what debris gets into the engine except through the intake piping? And oil filters usually don't start filtering until the oil temp hits 150F because otherwise the pressure drop across the filter would collapse the filter. Just some things to think about.
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks. I was not aware that the K&N were not as good as the original. I will double check all the parts to make sure I have them all I think I do as the previous owner kept the radio and a box with what looks like all the filter parts. Appreciate your info.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 am

when I had a stock 94 RMW, I put a K&N setup on it and drove from South Florida to Raleigh, NC. Lost almost 3 MPG. Took the original airbox, etc with me and swapped it back for the ride home. MPG came back. FL, GA, SC are basically flat, so it wasn't up and down hill.

btw welcome to the club.
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks. I am getting around 16 mpg around town. On a road trip got about 23. Seemed good to me but maybe can do better with the original I have it so shouldn't be hard to try it out. Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks. I am getting around 16 mpg around town. On a road trip got about 23. Seemed good to me but maybe can do better with the original I have it so shouldn't be hard to try it out. Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Bilwit

New to the Forum Empty

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 11:07 am

Bilwit wrote:
if you are getting 23 on the hwy, leave it alone!

I was getting 21 and with the K&N dropped to 18 hwy....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to the Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum   New to the Forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the Forum
Page 1 of 1