GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any bets on what breaks next?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike

Mike

Any bets on what breaks next? Empty
PostSubject: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 am

Picked up this beat up 1995 RM with 73K on it.  Had sat for last 4 years.  To my amazement with only a jump it started.   Than I changed the oil and it needed PS fluid so I added that.  Took wheels off and bought new tires.

Turned the wheel and the high pressure line exploded.

Replaced PS hose.  (fun job)

Drove it 5 miles and the oil cooler started pissing.

Rebuilt oil cooler with new gaskets and all.

Drove it another 6 miles and brakes don't feel good.  Front pads were gone, replaced those and when I opened the MC expecting it full from pushing back the front pistons it was empty......the back was empty.  Drivers wheel cylinder exploded and was free flowing brake fluid everywhere.  

So replaced, front pads, and rear wheel cylinder and shoes.

Any guesses what's next?  Only put 23 miles on it in a week.  Question

Last edited by Mike on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 am

BTW you all have been a great resource keep it up!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 12:35 pm

So let me get this straight...
you have a 26 year old car
that's sat for 4 years in an extremely high humidity environment
drove it without checking the brake fluid level or any of the brakes,
and are surprised when metal lines and rubber seals break.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:

I agree and went through a bit of angst myself when I bought my RMW in 2013. I am in Minneapolis area, it was in St Louis, plus I had a terminally ill relative that really didn't want me missing for the very long. It was at a Honda dealer and I did get them to do an alleged shop inspection, though. It had been sitting almost exclusively for about 2 years in St Louis. I checked oil, trans, brake fluid, PS fluid, radiator, etc and all looked quite good actually, so believed the claims of good past maintenance. It was a very long day, though. 5am flight to Atlanta, layover, flight to St Louis by about noon. 1/2 hour cab ride to dealer (they paid!). Checking, getting clear paperwork as it was due for required safety inspection, which is expensive and the dealer didn't want to do it, so he had to disclose that on bill of sale. Got a disclaimer that it was not a parts only car which it would automatically go to there. Finally out a 4:30 PM and long drive home by 10pm.

No issues getting it home, but still put in up for about 2 weeks while changing all the fluids, brake inspection, new shocks, wheel bearing greasing, etc. Only the differential fluid appeared dirty, but it might have been the purple stuff that looks dirty new. Some other odds and end and put it on the road.

Old cars are a lottery, and sellers can never really be trusted fully, so a long trip, or even a short trip, home can be an adventure and/or disaster.

Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 1:46 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:

Yup. lol cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 1:51 pm

booster wrote:
sherlock9c1 wrote:

I agree and went through a bit of angst myself when I bought my RMW in 2013.  I am in Minneapolis area, it was in St Louis, plus I had a terminally ill relative that really didn't want me missing for the very long.  It was at a Honda dealer and I did get them to do an alleged shop inspection, though.  It had been sitting almost exclusively for about 2 years in St Louis.  I checked oil, trans, brake fluid, PS fluid, radiator, etc and all looked quite good actually, so believed the claims of good past maintenance.  It was a very long day, though.  5am flight to Atlanta, layover, flight to St Louis by about noon.  1/2 hour cab ride to dealer (they paid!).  Checking, getting clear paperwork as it was due for required safety inspection, which is expensive and the dealer didn't want to do it, so he had to disclose that on bill of sale. Got a disclaimer that it was not a parts only car which it would automatically go to there.  Finally out a 4:30 PM and long drive home by 10pm.

No issues getting it home, but still put in up for about 2 weeks while changing all the fluids, brake inspection, new shocks, wheel bearing greasing, etc.  Only the differential fluid appeared dirty, but it might have been the purple stuff that looks dirty new.  Some other odds and end and put it on the road.

Old cars are a lottery, and sellers can never really be trusted fully, so a long trip, or even a short trip, home can be an adventure and/or disaster.  

So true. Its a toy not my daily and not anything I want to put in a car show. I like junky old turds. Took a 1985 Lincoln Limo on a BABE Rally in 2012 and had a blast driving it across country and fixing **** on the road. 3300 miles in a week after that car had not moved in 11 years. I'm a junk whisperer. This one might see a LeMons Rally ....who knows.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 5:14 am

It's January. Days are dark. I see a lost temper at something trivial breaking, a slamming car door, and many plastic parts that crack or shatter. I hear weeping, deep and profound.

This much is clear....the rest is shadow.

Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am

Next part failure? The rusty brake line, that was attached to the wheel cylinder you just replaced 😬
You’ll throw a bunch of parts, then it’s flawless for years, then repeat the cycle. It’s a love/hate thing.
I’ve been pretty annoyed at times, but can’t imagine NOT owning a b-body
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any bets on what breaks next?   Any bets on what breaks next? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any bets on what breaks next?
Page 1 of 1