GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brake overhaul

Go down 
+3
Sprocket
RoadKutter
Wojtek
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wojtek

Wojtek

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2021 6:52 am

Finished the brake overhaul new everything (except master cylinder ) including lines . The pedal is not as firm as I would like but I'm going to drive it a bit to seat the shoes and pads then flush the lines again one more thing off my to do list .

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
RoadKutter

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:31 pm

I did my rears and front all new hardware and flushed the lines. I too was expecting a much better feel from the brake pedal. Could it be the vacuum issue?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 am

spending the money on one of the brake buddy bleeding tools was worth it's weight, seems to work better than the old have a friend pump the pedal option....
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 am

""I too was expecting a much better feel from the brake pedal. ""

If you were expecting a "harder" feel from your brake system, the vacuum booster is probably not an issue. Spongy feeling pedals are most always caused by air trapped in the labyrinthine ABS system or master cylinder.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 1:13 pm

I have one of those brake buddy tools on this rebuild I used a set of Russell Speed Bleeders which really work well and are inexpensive 25 bucks for a complete set from Summit . Haven't had a chance to drive it much as I'm working on some other things cooling system overhaul  and interior freshen up before the weather starts getting cold here in Ohio and the car gets stored for the winter . My other wagon a 93 seemed to have a much firmer brake feel could that be because this one has an ABS system ? Thank you for the replies !
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 pm

not sure if it applies to our b bodies with abs, but I do know that some abs systems require special bleeding procedures to get all the air out.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Any idea on how to do this or where to find the info ?
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 9:03 pm

On my 94 RMW when I replaced all the brake lines a few months ago, I gravity bled them which took care of 90% of it. Then closed all the bleeders, opened the right rear (furthest from the master) and used a syringe to suck out any remaining air. Move to the left rear, right front and then finally left front.

Brake pedal is firm and stock brakes working great.

Random link to a syringe for example...Having a translucent option helps see any bubbles as well as getting clear fluid if yours is dark.

https://www.toolsource.com/fluid-evacuators-c-370_766/automotive-fluid-filler-extraction-syringe-1500cc-p-147048.html

Handy thing about one of these tools is that they have a lot of other uses too. Most farm and barn type stores will have plastic syringes (~60cc if I remember) in the animal medicine section that you can buy for a dollar and throw away when you're done (seals will break down) as another option.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
On my 94 RMW when I replaced all the brake lines a few months ago, I gravity bled them which took care of 90% of it.  Then closed all the bleeders, opened the right rear (furthest from the master) and used a syringe to suck out any remaining air.  Move to the left rear, right front and then finally left front.

Brake pedal is firm and stock brakes working great.

Random link to a syringe for example...Having a translucent option helps see any bubbles as well as getting clear fluid if yours is dark.

https://www.toolsource.com/fluid-evacuators-c-370_766/automotive-fluid-filler-extraction-syringe-1500cc-p-147048.html

Handy thing about one of these tools is that they have a lot of other uses too.  Most farm and barn type stores will have plastic syringes (~60cc if I remember) in the animal medicine section that you can buy for a dollar and throw away when you're done (seals will break down) as another option.

Gravity. The best bleeding tool there is.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Agreed - this works for the vast majority of brake systems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake overhaul  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake overhaul    Brake overhaul  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake overhaul
Page 1 of 1