GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wipers gone haywire

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn

Wipers gone haywire Empty
PostSubject: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Link to a .gif follows.

Greetings, all....lately, my wipers went tango uniform. Nothing happens until they're on the HI setting -- no LO or intermittent wipers at all. When they're on HI, they just twitch. I've replaced the motor, but that seems to have proven nothing, as both motors do the same thing. It doesn't look as though the push rods are moving at all. I can manually push it and watch the wipers move, but this is all I get with the motor running.

Is the fact that I'm missing LO related, or is that a separate issue? What's going on under the cowl here?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/ER7mZ8u
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Since you have high speed, that means you have power to the system. It twitches because it's just going in/out of park. There's an issue with either the stalk on the column or the assembly on the firewall.

When you replaced the motor, was it the whole assembly or just the motor itself? Did it include the black box that the wires plug into?

Do you have 12 volts at the grey or green wire when the wipers are on low?

Wipers gone haywire 1996-roadmaster-wiper-circuit-un-modified
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

The problem is 99% the black box on the wiper motor. A good used one will fix the issue. If you are good at soldering, you may be able to fix the one you have. They are difficult to disassemble without breaking anything.
Back to top Go down
BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn

PostSubject: Re: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm

When you say "black box" ....are you referring to what functions as a "cap" over the gears, with a circuit board, a plug, and a rotating disc inside it?  It's hard to see what might have gone wrong with it..
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 4:03 pm

BrotherJohn wrote:
When you say "black box" ....are you referring to what functions as a "cap" over the gears, with a circuit board, a plug, and a rotating disc inside it?  It's hard to see what might have gone wrong with it..

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wipers gone haywire   Wipers gone haywire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wipers gone haywire
Page 1 of 1