GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

sedan rear disk on wagon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Isurf

Isurf

sedan rear disk on wagon Empty
PostSubject: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 5:14 am

Has anyone put the sedan rear disks on a wagon? I have a used 323 posi axle that will go in my wagon, and was thinking, what would it take to dump the drums for a set of sedan disks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 7:41 am

You can modify the backing plate to fit the flange, and use the stock disks, but you need a 1/4 inch spacer under the disk to center it in the caliper. You will also need new lines from the center distribution block, and the hand brake cables may not fit properly. The cables from a sedan will also have issues, because the brakes will be about an inch further out on each side.

The backing plate bolt holes are not spaced the same, and the center ring is a little too small. These are not insurmountable, but should be done with precision. Remember your life depends on the brakes working correctly. Your ABS will still work with the disk brakes.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 6:57 pm

Can the drum backing plates be made to work ?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 7:14 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 6:15 am

Before I get too deep into this, I am finding the rear disk never came on the roadmaster. I believe the stock Impala wheels were 17's. Will the sedan disk brakes fit under the stock wheels?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 9:25 am

Isurf wrote:
Before I get too deep into this, I am finding the rear disk never came on the roadmaster. I believe the stock Impala wheels were 17's.  Will the sedan disk brakes fit under the stock wheels?

The rear from the impala and 9C1 use the same calipers that were designed for the 15" wheels on the 9C1.
So yes, you could use stock wheels on a swapped in rear.

It's been discussed to death on the Impalassforum so I would say you can research there.

I put a 9C1 rear on my 6 spd wagon that got totalled. Happy to answer any questions.

1. will it bolt right in? Yes with some persuasion
2. Is it a perfect fit? No, the sedan rear and spring perches are a little narrower as are the mount points for the LCAs.
3. Is that a big deal? Depends on who you talk to. I didn't get long term use as the car was destroyed only about 1500 miles after the swap, so I'm no expert, but in normal driving I couldn't feel any differences.
4. Did I notice a braking difference? - No, BUT, I never did the brake bolt mod so the rears had a higher percentage than what was set up with the drums (stupid accident, blah blah blah)

Why would you want to swap? Simple, if pushing the car (on a track) the drums will heat and fade after a couple of hard applications. I'd also assuming with the brake bolt mod, increased stopping power.

The calipers are Holden units so not super easy to find (Rock Autos core charge was over half of the cost of one!).
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 7:21 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Isurf wrote:
Before I get too deep into this, I am finding the rear disk never came on the roadmaster. I believe the stock Impala wheels were 17's.  Will the sedan disk brakes fit under the stock wheels?

The rear from the impala and 9C1 use the same  calipers that were designed for the 15" wheels on the 9C1.  
So yes, you could use stock wheels on a swapped in rear.

It's been discussed to death on the Impalassforum so I would say you can research there.

I put a 9C1 rear on my 6 spd wagon that got totalled.  Happy to answer any questions.

1.  will it bolt right in?   Yes with some persuasion
2.  Is it a perfect fit?  No, the sedan rear and spring perches are a little narrower as are the mount points for the LCAs.
3.  Is that a big deal?  Depends on who you talk to.   I didn't get long term use as the car was destroyed only about 1500 miles after the swap, so I'm no expert, but in normal driving I couldn't feel any differences.
4.  Did I notice a braking difference?  - No, BUT, I never did the brake bolt mod so the rears had a higher percentage than what was set up with the drums (stupid accident, blah blah blah)

Why would you want to swap?   Simple, if pushing the car (on a track) the drums will heat and fade after a couple of hard applications.   I'd also assuming with the brake bolt mod, increased stopping power.

The calipers are Holden units so not super easy to find (Rock Autos core charge was over half of the cost of one!).

He bought the 3.23 rear that a member sold on here. He is asking about putting sedan discs onto that wagon rear. Didn't Ray have that done to the wagon he had?
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Yes, I'm talking about trying to find a set of sedan disk brakes for my 323 wagon axle. Figure if I'm going to do it, why not go all the way. I have searched, but not found new backing plates online. It looks like everything else might be over the counter parts. Next stop is start hounding the bone yards for a donor.

I will also need to find someone to correct my speedo for the change in gear ratio and tire size.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Isurf wrote:
Yes, I'm talking about trying to find a set of sedan disk brakes for my 323 wagon axle. Figure if I'm going to do it, why not go all the way. I have searched, but not found new backing plates online. It looks like everything else might be over the counter parts. Next stop is start hounding the bone yards for a donor.

I will also need to find someone to correct my speedo for the change in gear ratio and tire size.

ON the Impala SS forum Navy Lifer made a kit. you can search for him over there, tons of threads. It definitely has been done, Ray did do it on the Red Wagon started with a Wagon rear and swapped to Discs.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Navy lifer has the kit, but it wont work with 15 inch wheels. I will just keep trolling for a set of backing plates for the 95-6 caprice. Might even buy a whole axle for the brakes
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2022 4:49 pm

Cleveland Power and Performance 866 236 5031 was parting out a low mileage (34000 ) 96 Impala SS and I know they have other parts from SS Impalas ask for Josh they might be able to help you .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sedan rear disk on wagon   sedan rear disk on wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sedan rear disk on wagon
Page 1 of 1