GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Towing?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 am

So my 96 has a light-duty hitch already under it, but no trailer wiring that I can find. Anyone know where to plug in? Is there a trick...my car has the tow package...or do I need to splice into the wiring somewhere?

I won't tow with this car much, but I have my wife's and my motorcycles and a cycle trailer and would like to lug it around with something other than the old Suburban.

I used to tow with my 89 Custom Cruiser. If the gutless smog 307 would tow the LT1 should have no issues!

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am

Mike:

Look on the Reese Hitch site, http://www.reeseprod.com/. You're looking for part # 118352. This is the "T" connector for our cars.

Determine the class of hitch that is installed. I have seen alot of class 1 hitches on these cars that will limit your towing weight to under 1,000 lbs. Don't know what your bikes weigh but I would guess the two of them are over that. Don't forget to add the weight of the trailer. Would venture to guess the value of the bikes, far outway the value of a new hitch.

When ever we are on the road during "Bike Week" at Daytona (on our way to Florida in the spring) it never ceases to amaze me the number of $30 to $40,000 motorcycles being towed by 500 dollar rust buckets and old junk trailers. Scary when you think about it. If you can afford the cost of these motorcycles, at least spend some dough on something that will pull them safely.

Class 2 and 3/4 hitches are still available for these cars and would make a better choice.

Bill
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 am

Despite having a "towing package" on our cars, they never came prewired. You'll have to splice in.

If you want clean and easy, I've seen premade kits on epay which plug directly into your rear light harness. I wimped out and bought one, it was easy and works nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 am

Towing package was towing ready

It did not come with hookups. You will have to tap into the wiring. I hooked into the harness behind the lights themselves.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate it.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Towing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing?   Towing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing?
Page 1 of 1