GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

in-car cam swap

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

in-car cam swap Empty
PostSubject: in-car cam swap   in-car cam swap Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 6:33 pm

Can you swap the cam with the motor in the car assuming you remove the radiator and condenser? Measuring tape suggests that it should work but I'd assume one of you has probably tried this before.

I remember changing the gasket on the timing cover with the oil pan still installed- I don't remember what I did, but I remember that I did it, so that should not be a blocker.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

in-car cam swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: in-car cam swap   in-car cam swap Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 9:28 pm

You should drop the oil pan to change the timing cover gasket, so you do not damage the bottom of the timing cover. You may have to remove the cross braces on the core support, although you may be able to get past them with the cam. You must remove the intake and lifters to get the cam out. Since you have an LT1, you will be removing a number of other parts I am sure you are aware of.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

in-car cam swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: in-car cam swap   in-car cam swap Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 pm

Should have no problems swapping the cam without pulling the engine. Lots of folks have done it in the past.

Soft rubber pan seal makes popping the cover in and out with the pan in place a pretty simple task. I would still at least pull most of the bolts and let the pan tilt some.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

in-car cam swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: in-car cam swap   in-car cam swap Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 9:25 am

you can lift condenser up and rotate it 90 deg, hang it from hood with bungee cord,. loosen pan off, grind the timing cover corner points back about 1/2" on both sides, use a wipe of grease on the rubber,.and a dab of rtv in the corners,.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

in-car cam swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: in-car cam swap   in-car cam swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in-car cam swap
Page 1 of 1