GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AC experiences- if it helps anyone else

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Empty
PostSubject: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2022 11:13 am

with Fred's help, I found one of my car's AC problems.

The issue was low volume.... far left vent I could feel, the rest of them were very low airflow and it was hard on a passenger to get cooled off.

I pulled the lower dash cover off the bottom and, with the car running, i could feel cold air. The prior owner/ or "mechanic" had been in the evaporator box for something... they missed completely when putting the screws back in... there were two that were missed and one missing all together. That left a 1/4 or bigger gap around the bottom of the evap case.... I could push up on it and close up that gap and the vents would blow much harder.... So that fixed that.

Now my second issue... I decided while I was there, to pull the fan to make sure no debris etc... found a little debris but not enough to hurt anything but i did manage to crack the fan squirell cage due to the wiggling it past wires etc to get it in there.... I tried to super glue the one tiny spot back and it didnt work. Once back togteher, it sounded like a bomb went off when I turned it on... it came apart with a vengence. Got all the parts and pieces out and we all know the aftermarket blower motors with the wheel are shorter... had to do what i had to do for now, and although it fits and blows.... the volume is back down due to the 3/8 inch shorter fan..... its a huge difference.

so if you have to replace a blower motor, find a good used one thats the exact size. dont get a new aftermarket one that will cut your volume down.

Now i gotta get one from fred and do the replacement all over again.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 7:47 pm

good tip.. that sucks to have to do a job over because of $hit aftermarket parts
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 8:06 pm

AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Blower10

I wound up finding a NOS squirrel cage, new, never installed, in the box on ebay.  bought it and replaced the old one. The difference in the size of the fan wheels is astonishing and no wonder the AC barely blows any volume with that pathetic thing.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 12:33 pm

that's ridiculous - just looking at the difference you would think it was mis-labeled. Seems that's common with a lot of after market parts.

For example, my HHR had a broken inner door handle (chrome plated cheap plastic) so got one that said it was a direct fit off amz - it wasn't even close. different size, matte instead of glossy finish and although the hinge looked the same it wouldn't even fit into the door panel opening. i ended up pulling a bunch of spares at the yard from wrecks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 pm

Serendipity96 wrote:
that's ridiculous - just looking at the difference you would think it was mis-labeled.  Seems that's common with a lot of after market parts.

For example, my HHR had a broken inner door handle (chrome plated cheap plastic) so got one that said it was a direct fit off amz - it wasn't even close. different size, matte instead of glossy finish and although the hinge looked the same it wouldn't even fit into the door panel opening. i ended up pulling a bunch of spares at the yard from wrecks.

What’s bad is it’s not mislabeled. That’s what they intend to be the direct replacement. It technically works. Just not very well.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 1:27 pm

Is it possible to move the impeller from the OEM and put it on the new blower, or the other way around by moving the motor?

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 8:06 pm

They are so different that you can not move them from one motor to the other. I took both apart, and tried...no dice.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC experiences- if it helps anyone else    AC experiences- if it helps anyone else  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC experiences- if it helps anyone else
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Heating and Air Conditioning-
Jump to: