GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Check engine light

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 5:12 pm

So my CEL has come on twice since I've owned this car. both times have been after about 25 minutes on the highway and 75mph or so. Both times the light went back off within 10 minutes or so. I checked the codes this time and all I get is code 12.... then code 12..... nothing else. Any ideas? It seems to run fine - just the same as it always has... I dont drive it hard or floor it... theres no reason with the 305... it'll get there when we get there LOL.

Back to top Go down
booster

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 5:52 pm

That code comes up as a distributor pulse issue or in diagnostic mode. If no misfire, perhaps there is a short in the ALDL wiring that is putting it into diagnostic mode.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 5:56 pm

booster wrote:
That code comes up as a distributor pulse issue or in diagnostic mode.  If no misfire, perhaps there is a short in the ALDL wiring that is putting it into diagnostic mode.

what i read is that it'll display code 12 when in diagnostic mode (when i have the little thing plugged in that essentially jumps the terminals like you would do back in the old days) and then it'll display the trouble codes, then finish with 12 again.... all im getting is the 12 and nothing then 12....
Back to top Go down
booster

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:21 pm

1991BlueBertha wrote:
booster wrote:
That code comes up as a distributor pulse issue or in diagnostic mode.  If no misfire, perhaps there is a short in the ALDL wiring that is putting it into diagnostic mode.

what i read is that it'll display code 12 when in diagnostic mode (when i have the little thing plugged in that essentially jumps the terminals like you would do back in the old days) and then it'll display the trouble codes, then finish with 12 again.... all im getting is the 12 and nothing then 12....

Yeah, I noticed that also, but if there are no other codes diagnostic mode would probably not have anything to display so would go right to the final flash of 12.  Just a guess though.

You might want to try putting it into diagnostic mode manually and see if it does the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 7:55 pm

Usually, a CEL coming on while driving at highway speeds means that the computer is not recognizing a leaner mixture when the EGR valve operates. The valve may be sticking, the passage may be partially blocked, or the solenoid stuck, but not long enough to set a code. It could also be the O2 sensor not reading the leaner mixture instantly. It is difficult to diagnose, because it only happens at speed on the road.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 9:54 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Usually, a CEL coming on while driving at highway speeds means that the computer is not recognizing a leaner mixture when the EGR valve operates. The valve may be sticking, the passage may be partially blocked, or the solenoid stuck, but not long enough to set a code. It could also be the O2 sensor not reading the leaner mixture instantly. It is difficult to diagnose, because it only happens at speed on the road.

any suggestions on unclogging or unsticking the EGR valve, Fred? Any snake oil, seafoam type things that might help?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 7:19 pm

I do not have anything. You can check the valve for operation by pushing on the membrane. You can check the solenoid by putting 12 V across it while the engine is running. If you have vacuum, it will work, and the engine will stumble. If it does not stumble, with either test, then it is probably the port. If it stumbles, the parts are working. Check for vacuum leaks.

In saying that it is usually the EGR that causes the CEL to come on when driving, that does not mean that it is the only thing that will turn it on. Low voltage will do that as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Check engine light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine light   Check engine light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Check engine light
Page 1 of 1