GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?

Go down 
+10
r67northern
goldwolfnhn
Sprocket
mtrhead79
rcktpwrd
nudnac59
Oscar73
booster
Fred Kiehl
Isurf
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Isurf

Isurf

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Empty
PostSubject: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 7:04 am

After many delays, and a budget windows laptop, a software update from a member, used JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner product to calibrate my speedometer. It's right on the mark now. Plans for new rear gears probably come summer. Moving slowly, this is my daily driver, I need to keep it on the road. Any suggestions for learning more about tuning?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 7:22 am

Try removing the speed limiter in the computer.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 am

Isurf wrote:
After many delays, and a budget windows laptop, a software update from a member, used JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner product to calibrate my speedometer. It's right on the mark now. Plans for new rear gears probably come summer. Moving slowly, this is my daily driver, I need to keep it on the road. Any suggestions for learning more about tuning?

This is a great site, and he does tunes also if you want.  The site instructions don't cover everything but does catch a lot of it.

Tuning link
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2023 2:53 pm

Booster,
Many thanks for the DST upgrade file. It made a big difference.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 3:15 pm

Isurf wrote:

Odd, but my odb2 reader now displays: 40 mph, when both speedometer and GPS display: 50 mph. It used to be right on pace with the speedometer.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2023 11:08 pm

Boy, after reading all these posts I fell so ...small. Replaced left side "resonator" with a left side resonator.

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? TUm0hlm
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2023 6:27 am

Isurf wrote:
Isurf wrote:

Odd, but my odb2 reader now displays: 40 mph, when both speedometer and GPS display: 50 mph. It used to be right on pace with the speedometer.

I missed this when it was posted as I had a lot going on.

I think some of the OBDII readers use the processed data after the pcm and some use probably use raw data from the sensor or something similar is going on. I did the speedo in my 96 RMW and I am sure I would notice the difference but don't recall anything being odd. I will look when the snow melts and roads clear of salt in probably another month. I have a Scangauge in mine and it does have a speedo correction you can do in it also.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 3:13 pm

booster wrote:
Isurf wrote:
Isurf wrote:

I missed this when it was posted as I had a lot going on.

I think some of the OBDII readers use the processed data after the pcm and some use probably use raw data from the sensor or something similar is going on.  I did the speedo in my 96 RMW and I am sure I would notice the difference but don't recall anything being odd.  I will look when the snow melts and roads clear of salt in probably another month.  I have a Scangauge in mine and it does have a speedo correction you can do in it also.

No big, I was kind of amused. GPS agrees with the speedometer. That works for me.
Back to top Go down
nudnac59

PostSubject: What I've been doing…   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 9:25 am

Over the past several weeks I've been replacing my engine mounts, repairing/replacing my inner fenders, and installing a complete coil over suspension using SpeedTech, Global West and Hotchkis parts. Almost ready to finish up the front end. Then to the rear, set the ride height and a corner balance, alignment and see how it drives! Razz
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 10:48 am

nudnac59 wrote:
Over the past several weeks I've been replacing my engine mounts, repairing/replacing my inner fenders, and installing a complete coil over suspension using SpeedTech, Global West and Hotchkis parts. Almost ready to finish up the front end. Then to the rear, set the ride height and a corner balance, alignment and see how it drives! Razz

What did you use for motor mounts? It appears all of them now are the same Chinese made ones, including the Delco ones. That have had a bit of a reputation for failing quickly from all I could find on them. I went with urethane mounts go into the clamshells and they are really nice with very little engine movement, but no vibration coming through them. I did drill some small holes through them as that will soften them a bit so that may have helped the vibration. The engine is also very well balanced.

Back to top Go down
nudnac59

PostSubject: Engine mounts   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 3:48 pm

booster wrote:
nudnac59 wrote:

What did you use for motor mounts?  It appears all of them now are the same Chinese made ones, including the Delco ones.  That have had a bit of a reputation for failing quickly from all I could find on them.  I went with urethane mounts go into the clamshells and they are really nice with very little engine movement, but no vibration coming through them.  I did drill some small holes through them as that will soften them a bit so that may have helped the vibration.  The engine is also very well balanced.

The part I used is also from China… unfortunately!. Really hoping it doesn't fail quickly! Here's the part # 71221014HKR.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 1:32 pm

I was driving home from the grocery store Friday, and had an unusual issue. The power steering pulley decided to self destruct. About 1/4 of the circumference ripped loose and folded back on itself, shredding the belt. Fortunately a friend was available and helped get a puller, and parts. It took about 2 hours of running around for parts and the tools. The tool requires 4 wrench sizes to remove and install the pulley.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 3:55 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I was driving home from the grocery store Friday, and had an unusual issue. The power steering pulley decided to self destruct. About 1/4 of the circumference ripped loose and folded back on itself, shredding the belt. Fortunately a friend was available and helped get a puller, and parts. It took about 2 hours of running around for parts and the tools. The tool requires 4 wrench sizes to remove and install the pulley.

WOW Shocked
Back to top Go down
nudnac59

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 5:12 pm

I am continuing my suspension rebuild. Mission creep is still evident in my garage. I now have half the exhaust on the ground and i have to figure out what exhaust I'll put in. Suggestions? The diff is out of the car, cleaned up and undercoated, new hard brake lines. Removing as much rust and loose scale in the wheel wells and undercoating those, the frame and underside of the car. The front suspension is buttoned up and just needs the grease gun on all the joints and control arms. I'll see about posting some photos as soon as I can.

Dave

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2023 11:26 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? 20230410
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2023 6:57 pm

I pulled my wagon out Friday from its winter nap and gave it a bath. I took it for a nice ride

silverfox103 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 24, 2023 8:51 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

Thats pretty crazy!

Any ideas on what the cause was?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 24, 2023 9:14 am

I have seen that exact thing happen to pullies when somebody has tried to remove them with the wrong puller or a pry bar. The breakage doesn't even have to happen at the time as a tiny crack or nick in the cast iron can propagate slowly after that and show up much later.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2023 9:27 pm

I relined my front brakes on the White Elephant, and found that one pad vanished. I had to replace the right rotor because it ground down the surface. The squealers did not make any noise to warn me of the impending pad wearthrough. I also repaired the right rear brake from an earlier incident with a wheel almost coming off.
I picked up a set of COYS wheels at the local PNP junkyard, and put them on. They are 17 inch with 255-50 Hankook tires. They have Allstar "hidden" valve stems with caps over the in-wheel fitting. I must get the screw-in valve stem, and it should be here on Tuesday. Until then, I am running low tire pressure on all 4 tires.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2023 8:19 am

I had the heater flow restrictor plastic thingy break while driving home. I got all the plastic bits out and pulled off the aluminum crimp end and got a brass barb and two hose clamps and put it back together.

Also changed all my plugs. I really need to do the wires but what a PITA that is (have done it before)...

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2023 3:04 pm

finally got around to putting a different rear window on my 94 rmw to replace the original that had severe scratching from previous owners using the rear wiper but apparently never figuring out how to replace the blade when the rubber part broke down ending with metal on glass.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2023 2:08 pm

We went out to the store today and the car wouldn't start when we went to go home! The starter briefly engaged and made a really weird noise like something dead shorted! Interior lights were on and the gauges were working but the speedo/digital part went dark. Called a friend to bring us home. Ordered a new battery and hopped into another vehicle and off to the parts store. They tested the old battery and said it was dead. Picked up the new battery and back to the stranded car. Popped in the new battery and it fired right up and off we went.

Back to top Go down
nudnac59

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:56 am

Finally finished up my coil over suspension install, set the ride height and am now waiting for my alignment date to take care of the front end. Can't wait to see how this thing handles and tuning the shocks!

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2023 2:56 pm

I repaired the leaking washer fluid container using two methods. First, I did some plastic welding and melted a piece of a white ziptie into the hole. That almost worked, still had a tiny leak, so I covered the area with some JB Weld for plastic. Seems to be good now.

We also swapped out the wiper arms with ones we got from the junk yard a while back. I think they came of a Bonneville or something similar, whatever has been referenced here and on the Impala site as good replacements. They look decent enough and the double sprayers work nicely.

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2023 5:41 pm

have a 21" blade on the passenger side and a 22" on the driver side.

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Zaxyx2Mh
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2023 8:17 pm

I put a new cap and rotor on it this past weekend. I got it state inspected and put 4 different tires on it today. My old tires where dry rotted they are from 2006. still had good tread but just old. I was not driving to wagonfest with them on it.

silverfox103 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2023 11:35 am

rcktpwrd wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
I was driving home from the grocery store Friday, and had an unusual issue. The power steering pulley decided to self destruct. ....

Thats pretty crazy!

Oh my! Just wow.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2023 12:35 pm

r67northern wrote:
rcktpwrd wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
I was driving home from the grocery store Friday, and had an unusual issue. The power steering pulley decided to self destruct. ....

Thats pretty crazy!

Oh my!  Just wow.
The funniest thing is that my power steering fluid leak has stopped.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2023 2:09 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
r67northern wrote:
rcktpwrd wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

Thats pretty crazy!

Oh my!  Just wow.
The funniest thing is that my power steering fluid leak has stopped.

The two things are probably related.

Best bet is somebody in the past tried to use a puller or a hammer on the outside of the pulley and bent, partially cracked it. Over time the wobble and crack finally let go. The wobble would make the seal leak a bit.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2023 3:09 pm

I believe that metal fatigue and corrosion are the culprits. I also connected the dots on the fluid leak. The distortion of the pulley varied the tension of the belt causing the pump shaft to wobble, thus the seal to loose contact with the shaft. The broken part finally separated from the disk, and folded back cutting the belt. When removed the broken part was facing the opposite direction to the direction of rotation.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Just ripped the front panel off the dash, pulled the radio, put out small fire in wire at back of radio.

Mess of melted wires, is there any chance this part of the wire harness can be unplugged and replaced?

Now frustrated, going to bed
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 8:28 am

Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 8:55 am

Pic won't work for me.
What caused the short? It should be fused but who knows. The parts book for my '92 OCC shows a single instrument panel harness for everything.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 1:21 pm

91 and 92/93 are different. The 91 has the wiper motor wired differently, and a couple other quirks. 94 to 96 do not work with the 91 to 93s.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 2:11 pm

Radio guy says it's because I put a switch in the signal to the power antenna. I spliced into the wire and added a toggle switch so the antenna wouldn't go up if I didn't want it to. Could that be true?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 5:56 pm

You always put switches on the ground side. That way the switch does not heat up.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2023 6:43 pm

I put wagon away for winter. It's a little early this year. This coming Tuesday I am getting a operation to fix my torn  Achilles tendon.2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? 20231013
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2023 7:57 pm

Just got back from our annual trip to Hershey, Pa for the AACA fall nationals. The wagon was on the show field again and there were a few other wagons there as well.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2023 8:42 am

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? N1hHPRgl

Sprocket and 94Woody like this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2023 2:13 pm

I drove mine 70 miles each way to go surfing and down a muddy unpaved road full of pot holes for the last 200 feet. Got a bunch of mud and sand in the carpet too. Oh and I saw a partial eclipse as well.

Good times.

silverfox103, 94Woody, Oscar73, rcktpwrd, Buickman1 and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2023 4:24 am

New battery (6 yrs old and dead as a fart).  Then a trip to Home Depot to pick up two 36"X80" doors for a renovation project.   Same old story:

"Do you want them delivered?"  
"No, I have my car here."
"I doubt they'll fit"
"I think they will, I'll go get it."
'"HOLY SH*T!"
"I'll be back tomorrow for some drywall."

94Woody, Fred Kiehl, Oscar73, rcktpwrd, Buickman1 and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2023 8:23 pm

Finally got around to installing the 99 Grand Am mirrors I got like a year ago.
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Img_0810
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Img_0811
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Img_0812

Will install the ps next weekend.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Got the ps mirror installed today.
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Img_0813
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Img_0814

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2023 5:42 am

I drove her over to the storage place and put my baby to bed for the winter.
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? 20220710

silverfox103, rcktpwrd, Buickman1 and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 2:23 pm

My oldest son and I did a two-day weekend road course event at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL.

We were the slowest car out there. My son went out first; he'd never driven the wagon before (my fault) so this was his first time in it, and going fast.  
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Rt1a1310

From then on, we got a lot smarter (started at the back of the line so we could have more track time to ourselves), and faster.
2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Rt1a2910

This car has aftermarket springs, swaybars, Bilstein 1104/929 shocks, headers, no cats (only for racing), every cooler the factory offered, an added power steering cooler, racing brake pads and fluid, rebuilt valvebody in the transmission, and tons of maintenance and durability mods throughout.  2.56 open rear was no problem on the track; we ran the whole course in L2 (3000-5600rpm). I would not run one of these stock on a road course. But this car ran great all weekend, and we got thumbs up from everybody at the track.

Between rounds, we went around apologizing for how slow the car was, and everybody said "oh no, you were really good about giving us point-by's (slower cars must give permission to pass); those pesky miata owners would never let us pass!"  hah.

Sprocket, 94Woody, Oscar73, rcktpwrd, Buickman1 and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 4:48 pm

That is so awesome! The car looks amazing out there on track! Cool 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? 1f60e
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?   2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2023 - What did you do to your wagon this week?
Page 1 of 1