GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ckamin

'96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Empty
PostSubject: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 3:35 pm

Howdy!

If you're considering a rear diff fluid change, I did mine today and it went really well. Here is what I can share if you're contemplating the same service at home...

I raised the rear of the car and utilized jackstands under the frame to the front of the rear tires. This allowed the rear end to hang down and provide access to the rear cover. I also watched this video prior to undertaking the job so that I knew what to expect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqug6-DXoIs

All of the differential cover bolts were accessible and easy to remove. The threads all had some RTV/goop on them (probably form the last gasket install) so I took some time to clean them up to simplify installation. I ordered a fresh cover from Rock Auto (Dorman brand with magnet, about $20) to have a nice fresh cover on the differential. I also purchased a gasket from Lubelocker (no RTV required). Nice gaskets... I used one of their gaskets on the transmission during the trans service and was super easy to use with no leaks.

I used Lucas 80w-90 gear oil and a limited slip additive. The Lucas comes in narrow bottles which conveniently fit up within the suspension to the fill hole (thank god, since I didn't want to use a hand pump!).

I have no idea if the rear end has ever been serviced. The car is new to me and I'm setting a bseline for all the fluid services. For a 49k mile car that is 27 years old, the old fluid still looked good and the magnet on the cover had minimal debris on it. Just the way I'd want it to look!

If anyone has any questions, pointers or input let me know. Thanks! This was a good way to spend a few hours in the garage on a rainy day.

silverfox103 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 8:04 pm

Did the new gasket you used have the holes in sides to allow fluid flow to the axle tubes?

Like in this Felpro, top and bottom of the pic:
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 8:46 pm

The gasket I used didn't cover or obstruct any oil passages, it merely covered the sealing surfaces of the differential and the cover.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 11:02 am

RTV is never required for a gasket and should NEVER be used on a gasket. Need the gasket to stick? There are products available just for that purpose.

Anyways, I just checked out that lubelocker place and if you used part number LLR-G850 you are going to have a bad time. It doesn't have the holes in the sides like the Felpro gasket and the axle bearings are going to be starved for oil.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 12:00 pm

So which gasket from Lubelocker should be used? The LLR 82BOP? The LLR 82BOP has the indentation on each side which, I suppose, will allow for oil to flow through the two channels on both the left and right side of the rear end housing face?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 4:58 pm

The one that has corresponding holes, or one with just the outer ring.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 7:05 pm

Well, I probably did this job twice for no reason but I learned something and I hope it will help others (the second time went faster...).

The lubelocker gasket I initially used (part #LLR-G850) would have worked just fine had I left it all alone. A portion of the gasket may cover about half of the oil passage to the axle but the other half of the oil passage is open and free... There is probably more flow available to the oil than through the tiny rectangular slots on the felpro gasket. When I took it apart you can see on the gasket the half-moon shape caused by covering half of the oil passage (but not covering the whole thing).

I reinstalled everything with a new felpro gasket (I don't like reusing gaskets and the felpro gasket was in stock at the local parts store). No sealant and no leaks. Smile

Hopefully the pictures of the lubelocker gaskets are attached for clarity...

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 7:06 pm

'96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Screen12
'96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Screen13
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 9:06 pm

Now you know for sure it's good. Nice work and write up on the process and double check.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change   '96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'96 Buick Roadmaster differential fluid change
Page 1 of 1