GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WhiteBird

WhiteBird

ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Empty
PostSubject: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 6:59 pm

A little help here please. I have a 94 RMW that I am getting ready to put on the road next month. Over the last few months, every now and then ( sporadic ) I hear a motor
running under the hood even with the key out of the ignition. Over time this drains the batt. The ELC has been taken out, just regular shocks. So, I believe it's the compressor cycling on and off. It only cycles on for max 4 seconds then off. If I pull fuse No. 27 will this shutting down the system without affecting anything else? Or how difficult is it to pull the compressor. A little help here Thankx
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 1:19 am

Could it be the useless Air Injection pump?
Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 5:08 am

I'll give it a try, but remember that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
The level control compressor is underneath the car in the back? I'll assume it's the same as my '92 OCC. It has a connector on it if you want to unplug and disable it but removing the fuse or circuit breaker should do it, but it would never cycle with no shocks connected to it? The sensor switch deal in the back is connected to a control arm (nothing really "electronic" about it) and if the level goes down with added weight the switch activates the compressor to maintain a fixed level and when the load is removed it lets out air by energizing a pressure release solenoid to drop the car down to that fixed level again, that cycle can't happen with no air shocks? It would either run all the time with nothing connected to the lines and sitting low or if the regular shocks make it sit high the air pressure release solenoid in the compressor would always be energized, if enough weight was added it would run constantly until the weight was removed.
I have a basic street battery disconnect on the negative pole of the battery, mine is all working and it still cycles every so often and will drain the battery if the car sits more than a couple of weeks and I don't turn the juice off, only takes popping the hood and a twist of a knob.    
I like the level control, it's powerful antenna impressive to the masses and works great on my car. You get a lot of weight in the car and you'll be glad you have it, like my wife buying too many bags of mulch, the compressor never stopped going off all the way home and the beast pushed going around corners and curves like a dump truck. The song is cool but I don't want all my friends to know me as "The Lowrider". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 8:41 am

So what is your point?
Back to top Go down
WhiteBird

WhiteBird

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 8:55 am

Good Thursday morn to you Mr. Keihl. My point is. What is the best/EZ way to remove the ELC so I do not have to deal with it again down the road? Meaning how hard is it to remove the compressor. One
has to remember I am an old guy and don't bend so EZ anymore. Thankx
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 am

The compressor is located behind the driver's side of the front bumper. It is accessed by removing the plastic wheelhouse extension. It is bolted to the frame. If it still works, you may be able to sell it. I am old too, so I understand the bending issue.
Back to top Go down
WhiteBird

WhiteBird

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 1:23 pm

Thankx Fred. I kinda figured that's where it's located, I just do not want to do any more than is required for the removal. I'm on it. Cheers PS: FORE SALE, one ELC compressor:  $50.00 USD that includes shipping.... Thats once I get it out. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL   ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ELECTRONIC LEVEL CONTROL
Page 1 of 1