GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starting issue.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
94 LT1 Wagon

94 LT1 Wagon

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I need some help with a starting issue. Quick run down of new parts that have been replaced recently. New updated Opti "vented" spark plug wires, water pump, fuel pump and regulator, charcoal canister along with switch, solenoid and all hoses, cats and last but not least, Seafoamed the top end.

Now for the issues, after replacing the pump and regulator. I put my fuel pressure gauge and saw my fuel pressure drop off almost as quick as it comes up ? Throttle response is good no stumble or idle issues. The engine has an oil leak up front somewhere, I'm gonna add some dye this weekend and address the leak. The oil is on the spark plug wires but doesn't seem to be landing on the opti it's self. Did the canister and all related parts this past week end and after replacing the parts took it for a drive on the freeway to open it up a bit. At the light it idled fine until I hit the gas it started to stumble so I pulled into a parking lot and let it idle for a minute and at this point the idle was a bit rough. Hit the gas in park and got a spit thru the throttle body, shut it down for a minute. Started it back up with no issues, drove back home and nothing has come up again as far as the rough idle or stumble. The other thing I haven't been able to figure out is the starting issue, mostly after it has been sitting for a while I have to crank it over two or three times before it'll run. Once she's run for a while I can turn it over and it'll start right up. Also when I replaced all the hoses that go to the canister, I found one that runs up the fender behind the battery and it has a tee toward the end of the hose but neither end was connected anywhere ? I looked but couldn't find anything. As mentioned on top I used Seafoam on the top end threw the PCV so it could get the maifold and back side of throttle body but I had someone tell me I should run some threw the tank so it can do the injectors. I've ran the Techron a few times but have not been able to get the right side manifold to stop glowing all together thinking it might be a lazy or clogged injector, since the cats were replaced it has been less bright but not gone away. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am

You've got a leak in the fuel system somewhere. Either a leaking injector (use a mechanic's stethoscope to hear it), or the tube to the fuel pump inside the tank isn't fully on. That would be the first place to start.

As to the cold starting issue, I'd monitor fuel pressure during this time, and also check your coolant temperature sensor in the water pump to see if it's reading properly. Also check the IAT sensor's output.
Back to top Go down
94 LT1 Wagon

94 LT1 Wagon

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 pm

The one thing I forgot to mention in the replace parts, the coolant sensor. But I will check the injector ! That's been my gut feeling from the begining, I'll leave the fuel pump for last. Thanks so much for your input
Back to top Go down
94 LT1 Wagon

94 LT1 Wagon

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

It was a bad fuel pump ! replaced it and problem solved.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 8:04 pm

injector cleaner kills fuel pumps,.
seafoam plugs oil pump screens, lifters, and makes seals leak,..

jmho

nick
Back to top Go down

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 am

phantom 309 wrote:

jmho

nick

Do you have some factual evidence of this?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 pm

grandpas wagon eh?
new member,.lurking since june, now 1 post, probably a lawyer or something,.perhaps with only one post you don't understand what
JMHO means
Just My Humble Opinion. derived from things i read,. and my own personal experiences,.

nick
Back to top Go down

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey granpaswagon,please let me be the first to properly welcome you to our group of wagon nuts.I dont want you
to think we are all lacking in manners and are unable to answer a simple question with a simple nonthreatening
answer.All question will be answered quickly and with a great sense of humor.If you need help ask,if you have a idea that might help offer it.
Take care and again welcome to the group
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:46 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

jmho

nick

Injector cleaner deteriorates the rubber hose between the pump and exit piping. It does not hurt the pump itself. Low fuel level causes pump deterioration, and failure.
Back to top Go down

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am

phantom 309 wrote:
grandpas wagon eh?
new member,.lurking since june, now 1 post, probably a lawyer or something,.perhaps with only one post you don't understand what
JMHO means
Just My Humble Opinion. derived from things i read,. and my own personal experiences,.

nick

New to this forum but over 1000 posts on the Impala Forum with the same user name. I was invited to join this group by someone familiar with my posts who thought I would have some useful information. Glad to say he, and all the others I have read (or lurking as you say) have exhibited a high degree of courtesy and manners........something quite absent in your initial comment to me. This does not bother me.......I can take it. Most of my posts are to answer questions and help others learn about our cars. I also like to challenge unfounded myths before they become gospel. So if you have some solid evidence to support your claim, we are all waiting.
Back to top Go down
94 LT1 Wagon

94 LT1 Wagon

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey guys ... didn't want to start a fight with my post. I just wanted to post my findings in hope that it may help someone in the future. I was running into this the whole time I was looking for answers on both forum's, someone with a simiular issue but no end result input.

To start, I didn't use Seafoam in the tank. I ran it through the PCV hose. Never used it in the oil nor would I ever. I do agree with Fred's input. Running the fuel tank low on fuel does kill the pump due to not being able to stay cool. But it was none of these things, it was just a bad pump. I was talking to the parts guy and he was telling me that all aftermarket pumps are pretty crapy. This was the third pump this year and they have all been Airtex pumps and have had different issues, hard to believe but true. This one still kept the wagon on the road but with all of the above issues, I bought the brand trusting that I have used them in the past with no issues, it has a one year warranty so I'm taking full advantage of the warranty ! If and when this one goes out I will be buying one from the Chevy parts counter and drop the extra money for it if it will keep from getting under the wagon for a while.

Grandpawagon .... Welcome, I have read your posts on the other forum and I'm glad to see you here now. I don't go on or give much input on the other forum because of the attitudes over there, I joined this one because most all members here seemed to be pretty laid back and willing to help out but I do have to say that the posts from some members are getting some what heated as well and that's not cool ! I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in specific, but some guys do need to tone it down. We're here for the love of our cars, the brotherhood and at times looking for help, not a slam, there are members that are new to these cars or even cars in general that look to us that have more knowledge for answers.

JMHO
Back to top Go down

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Very well said 94LT-1.I have been meaning to ask you,is that one of those rapid repo hoists on the back of
your truck like they use on TV? My brother has a 05 Ram Cummins Dually and he loves it.It is his second Ram
Cummins and this one is still bone stock because its stiil under warranty.Have you had any trouble with you
DuraMax?Sure is a good looking HHR,I want a black panel SS with the turbo.Always thought that the HHR was a
lot better looking that the PTCruiser.
Take Care
Jim Gordon aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 4:13 pm

A friend of ours has one of those rapid repo bars on the back of his F250 - it's an awesome little machine. When my sister wrecked our '97 Olds 88 he lent dad the truck and we had that sucker up and on the hoist in less than 10 minutes. I was amazed.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 pm

grandpaswagon wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
grandpas wagon eh?
JMHO means

nick

New to this forum but over 1000 posts on the Impala Forum with the same user name. I was invited to join this group by someone familiar with my posts who thought I would have some useful information. Glad to say he, and all the others I have read (or lurking as you say) have exhibited a high degree of courtesy and manners........something quite absent in your initial comment to me. This does not bother me.......I can take it. Most of my posts are to answer questions and help others learn about our cars. I also like to challenge unfounded myths before they become gospel. So if you have some solid evidence to support your claim, we are all waiting.

you don't automatically deserve courtesy, you don't introduce yourself,. you make your first post a combative type question,.what do you expect,.
Now that its been brought to my attention of your involvement on the "other forum"
and now you're here you're speaking for all the members i see, as in "we" are all waiting
welcome here as group spokesperson too,.another oracle is always good,.
I,ve read your posts too,. and i can't say i agree with all of them,. but thats neither here nor there,.
as fred said the hose deteriorates,. then i would guess the pump sucks air, overheats and dies,.
i,ve come across a couple of people that have had this happen,. and usually a while after using injector cleaner,.so thats good enough for me to form my opinion, and i,m careful to add JMHO to any post that is a statement of my opinion.
Any correlation yet between cat failure (emissions test failure) and using seafoam you think? mileage drop off due to O2 sensors being compromised?
all reasons why i prefer to stay away from snake oils in general,.
again Just My HUMBLE opinion.

Nick
Back to top Go down
94 LT1 Wagon

94 LT1 Wagon

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry for the slow reply guys. Yeah that is what that unit is for, but please pay no mind to the TV show. Those guys in the show that takes place in the LA area is all staged ! This is a job that is already looked down upon and those clowns make us look even worse with all the dumb things they do ! If any of you ever get to catch the show named "Repo Stealing For A Living" that's the only one that shows real life stuff. And this is one of those jobs that is ugly, but someone has to do it.
As for the Duramax ... what can I say ? I did have an issue with it, but it wasn't the engine. It was the PCM, I had a Dodge truck with the Cummins but that was nothing but problems with the trany with the push button for the overdrive. That thing was a dog going up hills, good truck other than that. But it's safe to say that I will never own anything other than a Duramax powered 1 ton truck ever again !
Yeah I have to agree with the HHR as well, that's the wifes car but I do like driving it when I can. I test drove an SS HHR ... fun little car. Once we get done paying this off an SS is a possibility.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starting issue. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting issue.   Starting issue. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting issue.
Page 1 of 1