GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shudder upon acceleration

Go down 
+3
200OZ
toomanytoyz
6500steve54
7 posters
AuthorMessage
6500steve54

6500steve54

Shudder upon acceleration Empty
PostSubject: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:01 pm

I have 94 Caprice wagon, LT-1, cold air kit, 160 thermostat and a throttle body air foil. It has been running fine up to now. It now won't accelerate when cruising and then try to
give it more throttle or stuff it. It just shudders and stutters and won't go. It's not really a miss. The wires and plugs are new but made no difference. Scanned it and it shows no
codes. Any one have any thoughts? Thanks Steve.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Fuel filter?

Could be the EGR, too.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Clogged cat(s)?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm

check yer vac hoses????

do you have datamaster? if so are you running lean or rich? any black smoke out the pipes???

my 94 had a miss and it ran like that until you went WOT, then it'd take off.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 am

When mine did that, it was an EGR valve
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:24 am

My wife's 94 had the same problem. After replacing everything I could including the opti, I did a compression check. It was good but several of the new plugs had carbon buildup. I cleaned and re-installed them and also cleaned and tightened the connections on the aux battery post. There were a couple wires burned there so I put new ends on. The car ran great after that and hasn't given a problem since.

Jon
Back to top Go down
6500steve54

6500steve54

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll try the fuel filter Sunday and hope for the best. If no change, I'll do the EGR valve. I knew you guy's would have some ideas.
I'll let you know what cures it. Thanks Steve.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Has the opti been replaced? Your description is a classic case of a failed opti.
A failed opti will drive fine under light throttle, but will just bog under medium to full throttle, and have no power.
A bad EGR will bog, and go.
Do you hear any funny noises when it bogs?

I lost my first opti in 1995. It was under warranty back then, but still a pain.
Back to top Go down
6500steve54

6500steve54

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 am

Well, it was the opti cap and rotor. Replaced them and it's running like it should. With 53,000 miles it didn't hurt doing the fuel filter as well. It's getting near time for it's long winter
nap here in Northwest Ohio. Thanks for all the help guy's. Steve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shudder upon acceleration   Shudder upon acceleration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shudder upon acceleration
Page 1 of 1