GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One less 92 Cruiser....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

One less 92 Cruiser.... Empty
PostSubject: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Well, I acquired a 92 Cruiser from Fred last fall. It was one of those cars that's too nice to crush but too beat up to make any money selling. So it became my latest parts project.

The odometer had stopped working about 290,000 miles. Not at all a stretch to think the car is well over 300K.

We got up to Fred's, put a new VSS in the car so the speedo and cruise would work for the long drive ahead of us. Threw in a beat up caprice radio for a few tunes and started for the trip home.

The engine ran smoothly except for a bit of a stumble when accelerating slowly. Possibly a distributor issue. Trans shifted perfectly.

We drove the 370+ miles with zero issues. A slight headache when driving slowly due to the missing tail pipe and resonator though. Even the a/c worked nicely when needed.

Here she is when we got home:
One less 92 Cruiser.... 92red1

And this picture was taken this evening:
One less 92 Cruiser.... 92cruiser4

I borrowed a cut off wheel from my neighbor and will be removing the quarters and glass shortly. Then a few more parts and she'll be off to the crusher.

Sad to see another one go but the parts will keep multiple other wagons on the road. A moment of silence please....
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 3:31 am

Moment over.
Do you know if the 91 and 92 speedo clusters have the same pigtail? I have a 91 OCC cluster but I don't have the wiring pigtail so before I can add the better looking OCC cluster to my RMW I will need a pigtail from an olds.

Does it have the auto climate control?

If so, how much for the speedo cluster and climate control with the pigtails? Could you also put the air cleaner on hold for me, I want to build a dual snorkel one, I might have one on line in Florida with my replacement engine but I don't know yet.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:28 am

It has manual climate control, sorry. Interestingly the 91 and 92 Cruiser's had different ECC units. Which makes the one from the 92 VERY hard to find. The 91 ECC is pretty much just like yours where the 92 gives you more control, like the LT1 RMW units.

The clusters are the same between the 91 and 92's. The cluster and pigtails on this one are spoken for but if that falls through, I'll be sure to get them to you. I'm not even sure what year the cluster you have is from as I've had both 91 and 92 parts cars.

This is actually the fourth Olds Cruiser I've gotten parts from. Two were up at Freds, this being the second one I've had at my place. I should get a memorial picture gallery going Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:01 pm

when you say retirement service for olds wagons don't you mean your their Lorne Jay?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 pm

buickestate wrote:
when you say retirement service for olds wagons don't you mean your their Lorne Jay?

Pretty much, yeah. Except, my internment services aren't quite as elaborate. Wink
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 pm

You still have this wagon? I need a piece of it if so and it is usable, sheet metal.

The small panel on the left in the tailgate area. The tail light screws go through it in 2 places. From what I can tell on mine this panel is glued in place for the most part.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Blackfoot

Blackfoot

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm

What a rotten shame, it doesnt even look like it was in too bad of shape. Ive seen, driven and owned alot worse and to gut it and crush it makes me more then sick to my stomach.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 am

I've since removed both quarter panels and quarter glass. 94woody, I'll snap a picture of that area over the weekend. There are multiple layers of metal there but if what you want is still intact, I'll chop it off for you.

One less 92 Cruiser.... Quarterpanel

Blackfoot, I hear you. But she was far from rust free. The rear bumper support has holes rusted through it. Both inner wheel wells have holes. This is the small one.
One less 92 Cruiser.... IMG_4278

The right side, you can see through into the passenger compartment. The only real consolation is that it's parts will keep many other wagons on the road. For instance, once I get to it, the right quarter will be used to fix the 96 Caprice.

If anyone wants a spare vista glass, let me know. I have one so don't need it. It's yours free but I don't want to ship it as I'm sure it would get broken since the shippers are soooo careful with packages. Wink
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm

A pic would be nice, thanks. It looks like that part may be in decent shape on there. Gonna look at a wagon in the junkyard tomorrow, but just in case.

My my wagons wheel wells are rusted like that I just found out. Only the very outer portion as the inner surface is still solid. Gonna remove the rust and treat it til I can get new metal. Very weird how small portions of this wagon are rusty while everything else is great.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Here's what's left on the car:
One less 92 Cruiser.... Dpillar
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:39 pm

The part I am looking for has been cut out part way. Thanks for the pic though, I see how it is attached more clearly.
Back to top Go down
lonebker

lonebker

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 12:19 am

hey mike, what did you do with the quarters?? do you have anymore. you seen my ride and i cant find a quarter anywhere for a half way decent price. for some reason, not alot of wagons here. very odd but had to ask.

matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One less 92 Cruiser....   One less 92 Cruiser.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One less 92 Cruiser....
Page 1 of 1