GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices

Go down 
+2
81X11
porkchop
6 posters
AuthorMessage
porkchop

porkchop

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Empty
PostSubject: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 pm

but this is only my second wagon. Had an 86 and now I finally got the bubble! I wanted a 94 but found a good price on a 92 today with the tow package, which is nice. Im happy with the purchase and will be on the look for some heads and what not so I can get that LT1 power back I am used to from my 9C1s I've had in the past. Any body here know the gearing ratio off the top of their heads on these tow package caprices. Mine is the L05, 5.7...wouldnt of bought a 5.0, sorry 5.0 lovers.
I am sure the stock tow cars would have the limited slip stock? are they 3.08 rears?
Lug pattern looks big too, like a truck pattern?

Anyway I am sure I will be frequenting the forum, I finally got my bubble wagon and Im keeping this one! I have let too many caprices go! Never again!
Once Im done with this one I am searching for a 91 Police package and between the 2, I will be a very happy man!

Thanks for having me guys!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Good to have you here. Pics when you can!
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Will get pics asap   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 am

81X11 wrote:
Good to have you here. Pics when you can!
And throw some up... It aint the prettiest thing as some guy thought he could paint but I actually can paint so should be decent soon!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:10 am

I love before and after pics! We all gotta start somewhere! Post them up!

Here's mine:
Before - As Found:

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices NewBraunfelsPics109

After:

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices RoadmasterGS005

Before:

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices ChallengersandBuicks037

After:

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices RoadmasterGS006
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 am

Oh and since you're a Caprice guy, here's my before and after 86 Caprice pics. ; )

Before:
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 1986Caprice002
After:
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices BoxChevyPics004

I love the boxy cars too.

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 am

You did good. Your wagon is identical to mine. '92 tow package 350 should have the same 3.23 rear that I have.

The bolt pattern is still 5x127 like the other bubbles. I've heard the easiest mod for good power with these is a set of Vortec heads and a Vortec intake with a tune, but I don't know. I'd love to find out though. Wink Welcome to the boards. Smile
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: MAN!   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 am

81X11 wrote:
Oh and since you're a Caprice guy, here's my before and after 86 Caprice pics. ; )

Before:
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 1986Caprice002
After:
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices BoxChevyPics001

I love the boxy cars too.

-Mike

Im a HUGE box fan!!!! Like I said Last box year Police is my dream car!!!! But that, yours I mean, is SWEEEEEET!
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: YEAH   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:06 am

Stingroo wrote:
You did good. Your wagon is identical to mine. '92 tow package 350 should have the same 3.23 rear that I have.

The bolt pattern is still 5x127 like the other bubbles. I've heard the easiest mod for good power with these is a set of Vortec heads and a Vortec intake with a tune, but I don't know. I'd love to find out though. Wink Welcome to the boards. Smile

2.32 is a bit better than 3.08.... thanks man, It is 3.23 for sure too. I finally found that info. I imagine with that torque its pushing a 3.73 would be quite right!
As far as vortec heads go, I can believe that would be a nice set up... Think Ill start shopping soon. I stole the car at 600 bucks and got some play money left!
Thanks for the welcome!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 am

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 am

$600? Damn I'm jealous.

Got any pics? Let's see it! Smile
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 am

As you can tell from the pics this guy was a WHIZ!!! lol... You should see the before pic he had up. Stock paint was great!

He had the car maybe a month from an older gentleman and when he realized he couldnt paint he didnt want it any more. So he left the roof unpainted too, but whatever.

The body work on the rear isnt going to be fun but wont be too bad. The door thats dented I will just replace and then paint it in the spring. I'll just shoot some single stage enamel on it to keep it on the cheap!

Has good tires but he put 2 different sets of wheels on it. I need one beauty ring to match it all up and move the wheels around. I dont know why he put the 2 blacks on the passenger side and the 2 chromes on the drivers side. I am moving the chromes to the rear and blacks in front until I get some aluminums.

I will have a grille soon as I have a local junk yard with a few sedans to pick off of.

Interior is very straight!!!

The condition of the Tranny fluid is rough but it shifts fine so I am just going to do a drain and fill for now and see what we have, filter change too.

I love the car! I am sooo syked!!!

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices P_00072

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices P_00071

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices P_00073
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 am

Looks like a solid start! Keep the pics coming. I like the Chevy truck rally wheels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

I'm getting a set of those soon. Smile Except I'm doing something a liiiiiiiittle different.

Smile Looks like a good project. That RR quarter scares me. All body work does. Sad
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 am

They sell those tires at Pep Boys. FYI
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Yup   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 am

Stingroo wrote:
I'm getting a set of those soon. Smile Except I'm doing something a liiiiiiiittle different.

Smile Looks like a good project. That RR quarter scares me. All body work does. Sad

Not a fan of body work myself. Good thing is, if I can't do it, I live in West Virginia man. I know 20 good body guys who work DIRT CHEAP. With the economy the way it is guys need work and the prices are going WAY down. Had a rear main seal on my dads f150 done the other day for 55 bucks, parts included.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

I wish I had that problem in FL. lol
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Yeah   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 am

Stingroo wrote:
I wish I had that problem in FL. lol

It works! lol... Some back yard mechanic shops 'round here are quite good and do stuff for a good deal. and if a guy swaps an engine for me and charges 200 bucks, he pays half his rent and I got a good deal... Everyone wins! There's a few to stay away from but most are awesome guys with a lot of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am

Good deal on cheap labor! Any idea what color? You going back to stock?

Looking forward to updated pics. Keep them coming! Neat car!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

81X11 wrote:
Good deal on cheap labor! Any idea what color? You going back to stock?

Looking forward to updated pics. Keep them coming! Neat car!

-Mike

Well Id LOVE to go with the chevy light blue that was on my 86...The almost baby blue chevy had??? If I can get that mixed in a cheap single stage I will. Unless business this summer is great, then I will shoot it in a base/clear AU...Who knows. If I cant make that happen then I will probably shoot it all white for a clean look. Nothing fancy man. I like to put my money where it counts, IN THE DRIVE TRAIN!!! I love a sleeper car! problem is I can never stay away from exhaust so the sound gives the car away sometimes... lol. I mean, I am not intending on this being a track car but Id love to yank out on a mustang in this big ole grocery getter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: HEY!!!   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am

Stingroo wrote:

I showed you mine,,, Show me yours!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah I appreciate the concept of a sleeper as well. ; )

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27019
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27020
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27021
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27023
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

Fair enough. Smile Challenge accepted.

I'm pretty out of place on campus - this thing is the biggest vehicle here.
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 0426140720
But MAN does it make moving out easy...

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 58183_1654292403807_1431987960_1769582_705608_n
Grabbing some dinner one night with some friends I had to snap a pic.

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 0507162237
Pardon the horrendously dirty engine bay (SORRY MIKE!!), but it sure does sound nice with the exhaust done (previous owner did it)

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 082210124222
I have an awesome vanity plate. I'm still upset that the woman at the DMV lied to me. She told me it wasn't going to obstruct the runner in the center of the plate. Had I known it really would, I'd have just gone with ROO WGN. I may get it replaced this year, I don't know.

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 71863_1665131954789_1431987960_1791348_4999042_n
Blacked out the pillars too. I like it. Smile You can see my stereotypical Floridian clear coat burn-in on the hood in that photo, buuuut....

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 1231155842
Nothing a little rattle can can't fix. That's not regular satin black though - that's actually chalkboard paint. You can write on it and erase. It's a big hit in parking lots. I'll usually leave a piece of chalk on the wiper blades and see what people do. Smile I need to throw another coat down though, I did it in a hurry.

It might not be the nicest wagon in the world, but I love it regardless, and have tons of fun. Smile I'm slowly learning that that's the important part. Getting new wheels soon, and HOPEFULLY if I can get a passenger seat skin, a center console will be going into it. Smile
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: UMMMM   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

81X11 wrote:
Yeah I appreciate the concept of a sleeper as well. ; )

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27019
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27020
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27021
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Nov27023

HOLY COW MAN!!!! ls1? Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: wow   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Fair enough. Smile Challenge accepted.

I'm pretty out of place on campus - this thing is the biggest vehicle here.
NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 0426140720
But MAN does it make moving out easy...

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 58183_1654292403807_1431987960_1769582_705608_n
Grabbing some dinner one night with some friends I had to snap a pic.

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 0507162237
Pardon the horrendously dirty engine bay (SORRY MIKE!!), but it sure does sound nice with the exhaust done (previous owner did it)

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 082210124222
I have an awesome vanity plate. I'm still upset that the woman at the DMV lied to me. She told me it wasn't going to obstruct the runner in the center of the plate. Had I known it really would, I'd have just gone with ROO WGN. I may get it replaced this year, I don't know.

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 71863_1665131954789_1431987960_1791348_4999042_n
Blacked out the pillars too. I like it. Smile You can see my stereotypical Floridian clear coat burn-in on the hood in that photo, buuuut....

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices 1231155842
Nothing a little rattle can can't fix. That's not regular satin black though - that's actually chalkboard paint. You can write on it and erase. It's a big hit in parking lots. I'll usually leave a piece of chalk on the wiper blades and see what people do. Smile I need to throw another coat down though, I did it in a hurry.

It might not be the nicest wagon in the world, but I love it regardless, and have tons of fun. Smile I'm slowly learning that that's the important part. Getting new wheels soon, and HOPEFULLY if I can get a passenger seat skin, a center console will be going into it. Smile

CHAULK BOARD paint.... Thats nuts! Great idea! lol...one of a kind Im sure! Love it!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 pm

HOLY COW MAN!!!! ls1? Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Naw just a pretty'd up LT-1.

As for exhaust I still have the factory true duals but replaced the huge stock mufflers with Flowmaster 40's. She burbles like a Chris-Craft at idle, rumbles when you put your foot in it, but is nice and quiet on the highway with the cruise control set.

I adore my Roady.

NOOB here from WV. had many caprices RoadmasterGS004
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Yeah. I might go ahead and do the whole hood in the paint. It'll get rid of ALL the ugly clear coat, and make the surface larger. But at the same time, unknowing souls will think of it as a lame primer hood like I'm some sort of Honda ricer kid.

Decisions decisions. :p
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 pm

CHAULK BOARD paint.... Thats nuts! Great idea! lol...one of a kind Im sure! Love it!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!![/quote]

+ 1 on the chalkboard paint. Funny stuff!

And I like of idea of the Chevy Truck Rally's on that car too. You can get them for $15 each at Pick-N-Pull, and they look good on the wagons.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm

But at the same time, unknowing souls will think of it as a lame primer hood like I'm some sort of Honda ricer kid.

Decisions decisions. :p [/quote]

You resemble that remark. ; )

Just kiddin!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Never! I'm creative. Smile

I'm going a step above that. I found a set of four rally's with the center caps on CL, they look like brand new. I'm going to paint them red to match the car, then put the trim rings and center caps on them, that way - if I ever get a red repaint, they match. Or if I cave in and go the satin black (or all chalkboard?) route, they'll still be fitting. Smile
Back to top Go down
porkchop

porkchop

PostSubject: Re: NOOB here from WV. had many caprices   NOOB here from WV. had many caprices Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Naw just a pretty'd up LT-1.

As for exhaust I still have the factory true duals but replaced the huge stock mufflers with Flowmaster 40's. She burbles like a Chris-Craft at idle, rumbles when you put your foot in it, but is nice and quiet on the highway with the cruise control set.

I adore my Roady.

Either way nice!!!! I love me some LT1!!!!!!!!!!! That 94 9c1 I had was mean nasty befor eI got into, But after I did...WOW! did some mild work with a steal HG, MSD stuff all over, mild cam, th400 w/ shift kit and trans break, 4.11 rear, 10inch wide street slicks and a lil more! I delivered pizza in the damn thing! It was great! lol
Oh yeah...and a 80 dry shot of juice for fun!