GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Redneck Tires

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm

So off topic but car-related so figured I'd share. Those who keep up with my car craziness know that I gave my father my 97 S-10 yard runner, with the stipulation that I can use it when needed to tow the trailer, hit the yards or go to the dump, ect. Dad liked it so much it turned into his daily driver.

A few weeks back the truck started clanging when you hit the brakes. Turns out the upper right A-arm bushings were just totally shot (160K miles). I handed the truck off to my mechanic friend to do those, and he told us it needed an idler arm, center link, and tie rod. I let Dad use the Roady and I drove my Cutlass for about two weeks while Truong did the S-10 as a side job.

Well the worn front end killed those Dunlop RWL performance tires I had on there. The metal threads were showing through on the insides of the fronts. Went to price those and they are over $90 each now. Ouch.

Well look what we came up with. My little 2wd 4.3 V6 5-spd sporty truck now has HUGE redneck Goodyears on it. These are the "bargain" tires at Wal-Mart. They only come in this size, no joke! For $50 a pop, it was too good a deal to pass up, but I think we may have to start dipping snuff now or at least put a dixie flag in the rear window. I guess it will be better on the dirt trails at the ranch. Driving it I feel like I'm sitting way up high now.

Man the little sucker looks different!

Before:
Redneck Tires WaxedS-10001
Redneck Tires WaxedS-10002

After:
New yee-haw knobby Wal-Mart Special tires!
Redneck Tires RedneckTires004
Redneck Tires RedneckTires002
Redneck Tires RedneckTires003
Redneck Tires RedneckTires001

Anyone wanna go "muddin" ?

-Mike
Back to top Go down

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Mike you have quite an imagination,I bet theres not an inch difference in tire diameter.You know you are at that age.Do you know what hemmorhoids are because you seem to have an overly
sensitive butt.Just asking because those GYs tires are a lot better tire for your truck than those
Dunlops ever were considering the way you use your truck.All those dirty/dusty JY parking lots.
M H O
J E G
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Ok, what's the difference?
Back to top Go down

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Probably not much I just like messing with Mike.Personally always felt GYs are an exceptional tire
just overpriced.$50 bucks a tire is hard too beat for any tire much less a GY.Always had problems with Dunlops in the past even with fanatical care,they just didnt hold up to day to day use.Oh
and this was back when VA had very maintained roads and not just a bunch of potholes.
JMHO
J E G
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:14 pm

goodyears for 50 a corner? what size are those? I might buy a set for the wagon!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 pm

These are both taller and wider than what the truck is supposed to have. What WAS on it was lower profile but wider as well. If I turn the wheel to full lock they rub the sway bar, so we'll have to keep an eye on that. They really fill out the wheel wells.

They were having a close-out on these, something like $20 off per tire. The guy at Wal-Mart said these are made FOR Wal-Mart and are only offered in one size, 235/75/15.

Here's the low-down on the numbers:
treadwear 300
Traction A
Temperature B

I was worried they were be loud since they are pretty knobby looking, but they actually ride quiet, so far. We'll see how they wear.

As for the Dunlops, I really liked those. They rode smooth and really made the truck handle well.

We'll see how the Goodyears hold up...

-Mike
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 am

I think it looks the same. A 2wd s10 with rwl tires... Wink That's the stock size for the 4x4's, IIRC. Smile What was on there before? 225-60's or something? I bet it rides nicer and wanders less now.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am

I forgot to look at what was on it before, size wise. In looking at the pics, the difference isn't as sharp as it is in person. It looks a lot different.

Planning to do some yard running and maybe a trip out to the ranch next weekend so we'll see how she does.

Fun-Fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Redneck Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck Tires   Redneck Tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redneck Tires
Page 1 of 1