GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Temp Gauge Not Working....

Go down 
+3
WagonLover
95BRMW
Cadet57
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Temp Gauge Not Working.... Empty
PostSubject: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Had a thread on this before but can't find it.

Anyways, this is starting to bother me more. And since it looks like my 9C1 cluster is never getting returned I need to keep the one I have or try to fix it.

So i've tried 4 different CTS to no avail. I've replaced the pig tail and it still doesnt work. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

My 1A2 had the same thing, replaced the sender to no avail. It ended up being the gauge in the cluster.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm

95BRMW wrote:
My 1A2 had the same thing, replaced the sender to no avail. It ended up being the gauge in the cluster.

I'm starting to think its the cluster too. as the needle actually sits below the "C" like its uncalibrated.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 pm

When i rewired mine up.. i had the wire backwards and i didnt wait long enough for the engine to get hot so i kept switching them.. but i finally smartend up and just waiting till it got hot.. and ended up switchin the wires one last time and the gauge finally worked..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

You wouldn't need the whole cluster, just the gauge. Much easier to pop another gauge in than take the whole cluster out.
Back to top Go down
94_RMW

94_RMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I figured I would post here rather than starting a new one, I too am having issues with my temp gauge, My plans are to buy the sender first and if need be I will purchase the temp sensor as well, hopefully this will fix the problem at hand (fingers crossed) This will be my project for this weekend. Any advice is appreciated
Thanks in advance,
Jose
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 5:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
94_RMW

94_RMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks, jasonlachapelle
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

Test the gauge too. The sender is a variable resistor. If you put a 185 ohm resistor across the lead to ground instead of the sender, the gauge should read 210 deg., 3400 ohms should read 70 deg.
Back to top Go down
94_RMW

94_RMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks, Fred!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Test the gauge too. The sender is a variable resistor. If you put a 185 ohm resistor across the lead to ground instead of the sender, the gauge should read 210 deg., 3400 ohms should read 70 deg.

NTC type sensor, as temp raises, resistance decreases. Shorting the sensor would send the gauge "HOT" (low resistance) and leaving the sensor CKT open (high resistance) will cause the gauge the read "COLD".
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm

My reference is a 91 OCC FSM. That is basically the same as what I stated, except you can get a reference to the correct temps with the resistors.
Back to top Go down
94_RMW

94_RMW

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Replaced the temp sensor and sender both, it was the sensor that was broken, now my temp gauge is working Very Happy but my fans won't kick on , If I unplug the sender the fans come right on...What gives ?Rolling Eyes Is it possible that the thermostat need changed? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank You
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temp Gauge Not Working....   Temp Gauge Not Working.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Temp Gauge Not Working....
Page 1 of 1