GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

quickie tach for checking engine speed?

Go down 
+6
convert2diesel
95BRMW
toomanytoyz
Nick Danger
Cadet57
sherlock9c1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

quickie tach for checking engine speed? Empty
PostSubject: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

somewhat on-topic, but I have several lawnmowers I need to check and set the full-throttle engine speed on. Is there some simple tach available that I can buy and use to check the speed?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:28 pm

So which one are you?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wink
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Not quite as glamorous. More along the lines of this one:

Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 6:31 pm

I know that when I get my emissions tested, they put an inductive tach on my ignition wiring. There must be something like that on the home market. For crying out loud, a timing light does it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Google is your friend.

Less than 60 bucks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:12 pm

But Nick how fast can you count?I use to have an inductive pickup timing light with a 2/4/6
scaled tachometer on the back but its been broke and then gone for years.Going to my
garage.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:30 pm

onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteenfourteen . . . never mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:48 pm

The one Crovo posted up is the only one I know of. Never used one myself though, from working on these small engines for so many years I can tell by the sound if they are at the right speed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 8:23 pm

If it goes BOOM it was too fast.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Don't know what RPM you are looking for but if it is close to 3,600 you can use an old incandesent light bulb. Just put a single white mark on the flywheel and when its stationary under the light your engine is at 3,600. Paint 2 marks, 180 degrees apart and you get 1,800, 4 and you get 900.

Old trick but it works.

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Damn Bill I know that trick has been around since the internal combustion engine came into
being,but it still amazes me with its simplicity and ingenuity.Had completely forgotten about
it until you mentioned it.
Thank You
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:03 pm

You mean a fluorescent light bulb, right?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
You mean a fluorescent light bulb, right?

No. Fluorescent won't work, especially the newer ones, they cycle at 10KHz. The nature of the beast produces a continuous glow and doesn't cycle up and down with the AC sine wave. Once struck and stabilized, a fluorescent will stay lit. Has to be the older incandescent, if you can still find one.

Bill
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

These are slick, just uses reflective tape to count rpm's.

Mike
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 8:34 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Google is your friend.

Less than 60 bucks.

Just getting back to this, but wanted to let folks know that this part is mis-advertised. It's only an hour meter.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:19 am

Update again - I contacted the folks at PartsBuggy to let them know and they have since corrected their website. SenDec does make tachometers.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 4:07 pm

I have an aftermarket ODB2 reader that shows RPM
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 6:30 pm

I have a Scanguage on it full time and it does rpm and a lot of other data collections including fuel mileage. Works very well. Plug it in the port and set up the settings and good to go.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 5:22 am

On your lawnmowers?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 7:02 am

Rev Bob wrote:
On your lawnmowers?

Good call, I didn't look at the entire thread
, just the latest post, and assumed, incorrectly, that an rpm question on a longwagon forum would be about cars. My bad.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 7:52 am

On the correct topic, I like this style as it is non contact and works on most everything that you can get to a rotating part on, usually the end of the crankshaft that has a fan, and/or cover on it that rotates at crank speed.

Most of the time, you can also find a place to read blade rpm or hydraulic pump speed in zero turns or hydrostatic drives.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 pm

Hes,, I missed the lawn mower part of the question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: quickie tach for checking engine speed?   quickie tach for checking engine speed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

quickie tach for checking engine speed?
Page 1 of 1