GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.

Go down 
+6
silverfox103
Cadet57
phantom 309
Bewber
81X11
Stemmler
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Stemmler

Stemmler

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Empty
PostSubject: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:16 am

With work finally slowing down I decided it's time to fix all the little things before the GM Nationals. I figured the first easy fix would be to install the shifter boot so my exhaust stops leaking into the cabin. I was going to just cut the carpet but was convinced to peel it back to for the install and this is what greeted me.

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. 5701134950_ec1a5b55a8_z

We decided to do a quick fix until I can cut the floor from a parts car we have access to. An old sign from the garage, rust convertion stuff, a can of rust prevention spary paint, some silicone and a rivit gun gave us this.

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. 5701134216_d67802b857_z

It's not pretty but should hold until a proper fix can be done. I did get the boot on eventually.
I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. 5701135656_ba5e098e5d_z

Now all I have left to do before Carlisle is headers, exhaust and a front end rebuild.

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. 5701841327_0bc5b5c885_z

Last edited by Stemmler on Mon May 09, 2011 12:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:18 am

Yikes, that is some scary stuff.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:26 am

Man salt SUCKS!

I love the 6-spd mod and that is a sharp looking car!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:44 am

I love that car.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:53 am

good repair,.
another idea which i,m fond of,. cut cardboard to fit,. then slap fibreglass resin all over cardboard and floor,. tear the fibreglas cloth into random pieces and coat liberally with resin,. press into the soup already there,.it'll harden and will out last the rest of the car,..
The florr and cardboard can dissolve underneath it,. and it'll still keep your feet dry,..

nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 12:58 am

Great tip, Nick.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 7:48 am

I will never ever complain about having to re undercoat my wagon ever again. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:07 am

Nice looking wagon and am envious of the 6 speed. I have two wagons that I don't drive in the winter, but I did have one that I drove for 13 years in New Hampshire winters. Some time this summer, I would take the seats and rug out, just to make sure you don't have any surprises.

You probably know all this, but here goes anyways: check the tire compartment and the opposite side and where the rear seat belts connect to the rear wheel well. Also one other area that I found was the frame right in front of the rear wheel drivers side. Catch it, if you have it.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:17 am

Nice Tough looking wagon.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:51 am

I love the car, man! Now you've got me rethinking the Marshmallow's path again! lol

Sucks about the floor, but that's not the worst I've seen... or owned. Sad
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks for the compliments. I was planning on replacing the carpet later this summer so I may do that fiberglass fix instead of of cutting the floor out of a parts car. Sounds like it will be easier.

I didn't notice any other major rotting under the car. I have all the stuff to paint the frame and other rusty parts under there. Lots of surface rust but nothing real bad except a possible hole in the drivers side rear wheel well.

Some times I think it would be easier to find a rust free car and swap over all the good stuff.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 11:10 am

I would strongly consider buying a rust-free shell and then swapping everything over before doing a front end rebuild on a rusty car. You will have all that work, and only get a few years out of it. I faced the exact same decision and had to junk the car about 9 months later. That would have sucked if I had put that effort into it.

There's some guy named 81x11 on here who knows about a few rust-free wagons down in Texas. If somebody totals mine, I'm taking a flight down there and coming back with one.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 11:17 am

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2369709197.html - It runs and drives good enough to get it home. Consider it a $500 car with the $500 shipping included, get in and drive it home.

Too bad the oil companies think gasoline is made of gold now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Thats what I would do.Let Mike (81X11) find the car that meets his standards and just pay
for it.Let Mike keep it until you can pick it up and hopefully drive home in a very clean and
detailed car.There is no way Mike can leave a dirty car sitting in his driveway.
Take Care All
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 1:11 pm

The rust is nothing a weekend on the lift with a wire brush and some paint cant fix. The frame is solid and hopefully the rest of the floor is.

When I'm ready for a 2nd wagon I'll look into importing a rust free one from Texas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Thats a good looking car for sure.Did you use blue window tint or am I going more blind
than I thought.Without rust where would the manufactures be.I know that the newer cars
are better designed and treated to prevent any rust period but it seems that the chemicals
used for snow and ice are much more corrosive than it use to be.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 1:44 pm

The tint was put on my the PO and has either aged or was originally a purplish color. It bugs me but not enough to change out right away.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Nice car...........+1 on Nick's comment, my Dad rebuilt the 73 caddy that way, carboard and fiberglass.....EZ to shape, etc, sands nice and with some body putty blends real well.

I got my chops from fixin surfboards for over 25 years, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.   I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I thought putting on a boot would only take 15 min.
Page 1 of 1