GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do I get Codes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bcreasy

bcreasy

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 7:32 pm

I have had a check engine light come on. I tried jumping pins a and b on the plug but when I do I hear a fan or something to that effect turn on, and the light doesn't flash. Its a 1994 Estate Wagon Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Hit the search button above this post and enter access computer codes and that will tell you
how to access the RPO codes thru the climate control bottons I believe.Someone here will
chime in to help you better than I know how.I have an old scanner that is the only way I
know how to pull codes.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 8:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Jay you show off!I was going to do that next I swear!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks a ton for that, I have a 32 code EGR circuit. Whats the first thing I should check?

So far this car hates me. I had the drives rear brake line blow out then the pass rear bleeder broke off so I replaced the pass side line along with the wheel cylinder, then the battery died and I jumped it and the battery had a dead cell and I believe it took out the Alt. all this in a matter of 2 days after buying it.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:26 pm

WHEN you get it running, unhook the vacuum line to the EGR and plug the hose. Either apply a vacuum Gage tot eh EGR and apply vacuum until the engine dies, or stick your finger in behind the valve and push in on the diaphragm. the result should be the same.

You cannot check for vacuum at the hose because the car MUST be in gear in order for the solenoid to work.
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:24 am

Krzdimond wrote:
WHEN you get it running, unhook the vacuum line to the EGR and plug the hose. Either apply a vacuum Gage tot eh EGR and apply vacuum until the engine dies, or stick your finger in behind the valve and push in on the diaphragm. the result should be the same.

You cannot check for vacuum at the hose because the car MUST be in gear in order for the solenoid to work.

ok I understand how to do this but the why has me , is it to test to see if the EGR diaphragm is busted?
and what is needed to take that off along with the air pump? I live in Indiana so no testing and anyone local that can take the emissions stuff out of the computer?

Thanks again you guys are fast to help I am enjoying it here
Back to top Go down

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:08 am

From what I've read/seen/been told it isn't really worth it to delete the AIR unless you have a reason to (in other words: headers)
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:57 am

I think I may have fixed it, I went to look and found that the vac line running to the EGR was chewed in half. This car has sat in a field for a yr or 2 and mice made it a home. Under home plate was some nice mouse turds, some of the hood insulation has be chewed off also. I guess I am gonna have to spend some time looking over the vac lines. Besides the few things its thrown at me I am loving this car. My goal will be a family dragging wagon Twisted Evil I need to find some one local that can tune or the equipment to tune it myself

Thanks again for the fast responses helping me figure it out. I am sure I will have lots more help questions as this platform is new to me
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:33 am

The EGR failure is common on these. Have replaced mine twice. I used a Camaro one first, but with the OBDII on my '96 it kept tripping the light, so I went back to a Roady one for a '96 and no issues anymore!

I would not bypass it. I've heard LT1's don't react well to ditching the EGR.

Good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How do I get Codes Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I get Codes   How do I get Codes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I get Codes
Page 1 of 1