GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)

Go down 
+5
lakeffect
convert2diesel
Krzdimond
1993 Roady-man
BigBlackBeaSSt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Empty
PostSubject: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 10:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
going from 1.5 to 1.6........
Lots of assembly lube........
This IS the hot rod..............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 10:44 pm

How much assembly lube did you use in those pushrods Tim?Sure is a pretty color!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I did not replace the push rods so I only lubed the top.........
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:17 pm

pulled the plugs and adjusted the RR tonight in the dark!!! We lost power for a few hours.....

Going to add the HD wiring harness, add my pulley covers I got for Christmas and clean the bay up a little before I put it back together.

It is nice to work on a clean car!! And one that does not have to run the next day.....
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:10 am

Very cool! Since I am not a engine person what benefit do these give you?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:38 am

A higher ratio roller rocker should give you a little more torque (higher lift).
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:53 am

Aww Thanks for that bit of info, I think I neeed to get my head out of painting and learn more about our engines. Although I just have a TBI.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:41 am

Lxx or TBI, it does not matter as engines are engines and the same applies to all..... the more air you can shove through it, the more power it produces...... the differences are in how efficient of an air pump a specific engine design is.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What Robert says is true. Engines are an oxygen pump. The second half of this video (2:11) is a very simplified but REALLY great explanation of this.

I am useless at embedding videos!!!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Robert and Thanks for posting the link Tim. It that explained alot I had no clue about.
I seriously need to look at engine upgrades before I change out my engine. I hope to do that over the winter. So I will be posting a thread once I get started. I seriously need all the help I can get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

Jarrod you stick with what you are good at and leave the engines alone.Judging from your
wagon you are pretty good at it.Guys are right about engines being giant "air Pumps' but
being able to repair damaged bodies and then make them pretty again is a gift,so stick
with your gift please.
Done Rambling
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:28 am

Jim, I only want to do it once for my wagon and not for other people. I hate grease but will work in it for my own personal gain. I will be asking a lot of questions at wagonfest for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:35 am

If you worked on Tims engine you wont have to worry about grease and dirt.Jeez thats a
clean engine compartment.And its still not a Hot Rod?
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Jim,

That one is the Impala and it IS a hot rod!!

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 3:10 pm

I hope those shiny flakes I saw down in the outer oil return passage is nothing to worry about!
Then again maybe there is something wrong,at least they were very small flakes.
Gotcha Tim!I can hear the gasping from you already!LOL
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 3:50 pm

LOL............
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 5:58 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Jim, I only want to do it once for my wagon and not for other people. I hate grease but will work in it for my own personal gain. I will be asking a lot of questions at wagonfest for sure.

Tell you what Jarrod. Will trade some body work on the Caddy for how many wrenching sessions you need to make that thing right again. You supply the refreshments and manpower, I'll supply the tools and what little know-how I have.

Bill
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm

convert2diesel wrote:

Tell you what Jarrod. Will trade some body work on the Caddy for how many wrenching sessions you need to make that thing right again. You supply the refreshments and manpower, I'll supply the tools and what little know-how I have.

Bill

So let me get this straight you want me to do the body work on your caddy and supply the manpower and beverages so you can tell me "what little know-how you have". Hmmmmmmmmm! Suspect seems like I am doing everything while you sit in the lawn chair telling what you have. LOL! Your funny. Just messing with you Bill.

Jarrod
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Rats...busted Very Happy .

Seriously though, we should get together. The Caddy took a hit on the rear 1/4 last month and I do need to get it fixed. Only about an hour and a half from here. PM me if your interested. As far as the mechanicals, if I can help just ask.

Bill
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:44 pm

I can use a road trip to check your ride out.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:46 pm

I can use a road trip to check your ride out.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Might be a two for one deal. Gord wants to de-wood his Roadie this summer and get rid of the chrome, thus a paint job is also needed.

Bill
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Nice! now back to the regular scheduled programing. Sorry for derailing it.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:12 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Very cool! Since I am not a engine person what benefit do these give you?

When fully opened, it pushes the valve farther away from the seat. It helps to create a larger opening, thus less restriction to air flow, be it in or out.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 9:39 am

That link he posted over to you tube really helped me understand the engine. Seriously opened my eyes as to my people run headers too, I had no clue. Now I want headers for my TBI so the search begins.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Glad I was under the hood. I was attaching some bling to the pulleys in the car (gifts over the past 12+ months) and I noticed a bolt sitting along side the A/C Pulley. It had fallen from its place holding the compressor. Upon further investigation, I noticed that ALL THREE were backed out. I had stainless steel allen head bolts in there. I put the factory bolts in (longer) an snugged it back up. I think I am OK

Also had to remove the underdrive pulley from the BeaSSt. Between the pulley the cover and my RAMMIT cold air intake, something had to give, no clearance for the pulley cover. I hope runing a 30% overdrive pulley does not smoke the alternator!??!?! We will see.

Tim
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:55 pm

did you replace pro-mags with ultra pro-mags or just do a 1.6 RR install with the new ultras ?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Replaced Pro-mag 1.5 with Ultra Pro-mag 1.6 Very Happy

AND IT RUNS!!! No clatter.......... First time I have ever done it the first time with no "re-adjustment". Will let you know more when I put a few miles on it. Need to get a belt tomorrow and give it a run......

1.5 pro mags available if anyone would like to try them..... Only 500 miles or so on them. Would make a nice start for someone who wants to begin engine upgrades.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Be careful Jarrod,Bill will probably show up with a diesel engine and some french fry grease to be used as fuel.Before you you know it you will be talking with an accent and going AY,over
and over.But at least you will learn something about engines!
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I've spoken to Bill on the phone, briefly. No "eh" in his accent. Laughing
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Be careful Jarrod,Bill will probably show up with a diesel engine and some french fry grease to be used as fuel.Before you you know it you will be talking with an accent and going AY,over
and over.But at least you will learn something about engines!
Take Care
Jim Gordon

And at close to $4.00/gal. this is a bad thing??

Bill

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Tim, I will call you about those rockers in the morning........ you doing the "church thing"? If so, I can call you after I leave Chris' house around 1-ish?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:49 pm

We are in agreement about the price of diesel.My brother bought diesel today for 3.77 per
gal and its slowly going down.Jarrod you might like the low end torque of a diesel anyway.
And the fuel mileage will probably blow you away in one of our wagons converted to diesel.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Tim, I will call you about those rockers in the morning........ you doing the "church thing"? If so, I can call you after I leave Chris' house around 1-ish?

Call after 12:30 and you should get me...........
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:51 pm

wilco
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:31 pm

CRUDD!!! I think I mixed up #8 and #6 spark plug wires. Idles fine, but when I get on it it backfires from the tail pipes. No power or none to speak of. But would it even run on 6 cylinders????
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Is this car coming to the fest? wasn't sure if this was a wagon or impala
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

It will run on four cylinders. I know, because when I melted the wiring harness on the header, it blew one of the fuel injector fuses.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
CRUDD!!! I think I mixed up #8 and #6 spark plug wires. Idles fine, but when I get on it it backfires from the tail pipes. No power or none to speak of. But would it even run on 6 cylinders????

Yeah, it would run on 6..... Not well as you have witnessed, but it'll run.

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:14 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Is this car coming to the fest? wasn't sure if this was a wagon or impala

Nope.... Carlisle for this car. Unless I can come up with an enclosed trailer for the fest!! Wink HMMMMMMMMM...... I do know someone who has one!!!! NO A CANNOT DO THAT.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

jayoldschool wrote:
It will run on four cylinders. I know, because when I melted the wiring harness on the header, it blew one of the fuel injector fuses.

Your making me feel better already!!

200OZ wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Yeah, it would run on 6..... Not well as you have witnessed, but it'll run.

Mike

Time to become a contortionist. Getting my hands in there is a job for my youngest. She can fold her hands in half...... yikes!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Ouch!Be careful Tim,she may like working on your car and then you know what will happen?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:29 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Replaced Pro-mag 1.5 with Ultra Pro-mag 1.6 Very Happy

Did you compare them side to side ? Generally speaking, do you feel the new ultras are a better rocker than the pro-mags ?

The 1.5s would be a good deal for 2 guys wanting to go split 1.6 int / 1.5 ex and run a crane 227 or gm 845 on stock iron heads with press in studs....

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:17 pm

They are both a good quality product. They seem to be less noisy. They are lighter and stronger. I see no down side..... Most all of comps stuff seems pretty top notch.

This set is non-self aligning. The set to come off of the wagon are Self Aligning.........
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:17 pm

change the oil soon,. no need for quite so much assembly lube,.especially on the rocker nuts,.

nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up nick. I will be changing the oil next time it is warm.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:05 am

I was so anxious to get the beast running I changed the wires around first thing!! Still in my night clothes (don't ask it wasn't pretty!!) and took her for a spin (after I got changed!!). She smokes the tires just fine now!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)   Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags.....  ;) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out with the Pro Mags and in with the Ultra Pro Mags..... ;)
Page 1 of 1