GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

optispark removal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
roadsurfer

optispark removal Empty
PostSubject: optispark removal   optispark removal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 pm

hello,

when replacing an optispark, what steps do i need to do to ensure that the timing will be correct with the new one? how will i know if i have the rotor of the new one on in exactly the same position as the old one was when i removed it? is there something that i need to carefully mark it's position before removal?

does the rotor attach directly to the end of the distributor drive shaft in one way only, preventing it from being installed wrong?
does lining up the drive pin on the engine shaft with the slot on the back of the distributor ensure that i only have the body of the distributor mounted correctly, or does it also ensure that the timing is correct as well?

i have never replace one before and will be doing it tomorrow. the shop manual does not describe taking any precautions when installing the new one. it just describes how to line up the drive pine correctly.

thanks a lot,
anthony gainesville, florida
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

optispark removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: optispark removal   optispark removal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Anthony, it only goes in one way. You cannot mess it up.

Word of note though, when putting the opti back on to the block, MAKE SURE IT IS SEATED ALL THE WAY DOWN. If you are off just a hair, it won't go all the way in.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

optispark removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: optispark removal   optispark removal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 pm

there's only one way it will fit:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

optispark removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: optispark removal   optispark removal Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

GREAT! thanks so much.

onward!

anthony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

optispark removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: optispark removal   optispark removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

optispark removal
Page 1 of 1