GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gate ajar light on

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here. I had a 1993 Chevy Caprice wagon for about 4 years, and last year I upgraded to a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon.

This weekend we had the Roadmaster out in Wisconsin on a weekend getaway. While unloading, the rear gate became bound up and wouldn't open. I was able to get it to swing out, but it wouldn't swing down. I noticed that a piece of cloth got closed up in the gate at some point, which probably caused it to bind.

After closing it very firmly a couple of times it went back to working as it had before. However, ever since then the Gate Ajar light has been on and the rear interior lights won't go off. I took the bulbs out so the battery won't drain. I assume that the switch somehow was damaged, but I can't see where the switch is to inspect it.

So can anybody help me locate the switch that lets the car know whether the gate is open or closed? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Not sure on where the switches are, but my caprice did that a couple times. Opened the door one way and slammed it, then the other way and slammed it. That took care of it for me.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 pm

The little switch inside the gate might be loose,. take off the trim panel and remove the small access panel by the latch for the door side,.
mione does it occassionaly,. ,. i open the gate in door mode, and slam it as hard as i can,. it fixes the problem,.

nick
yrmv
nweoi
pdcc
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 pm

You can also just unplug that switch...fold down tailgate, remove trim panel..remove the right access panel...you will see it near the top latch! One of the first mods I always do on any wagon I buy. Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:13 am

You may have "adjusted" or warped the gate slightly when it had the cloth stuck in it. Try pushing on the top passenger's side of the gate while watching the light. You may have to adjust the top hinge on the passenger's side. I believe the switch can be adjusted as well, but either adustment will require the above mentioned removal of the gate interior.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 pm

You just need to open it like a door, then slam it REALLY hard. The latches will catch properly so you can open it both ways, and the light will go out.
Back to top Go down

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 pm

^ That's what I do.

Seems so ghetto. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:34 pm

As well as being ghetto, it is not good for the gate either. You will eventually damage the latch or hinge. Make the proper adjustments and it will stay nice a lot longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gate ajar light on Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gate ajar light on   Gate ajar light on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gate ajar light on
Page 1 of 1