GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Look what the UPS man dropped off :)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stockfornow

stockfornow

Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Empty
PostSubject: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Look what the UPS man dropped off :) 3708470702_2fd4803faa_b

Wagon not stopping well recently. Worn pads and warpped rotors don't help. These should look great behind my SS wheels Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Nice! I like that they are slotted and not drilled! Smile

You should paint the slots and hub and face of them to keep them looking nice. Even if you only paint them silver. Smile

How much were they and where'd you get them?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:37 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

You should paint the slots and hub and face of them to keep them looking nice. Even if you only paint them silver. Smile

Everything TMT said. Can you turn slotted rotors?
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 am

I got them from Autoanything.com. http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3048A0A0A2423648.aspx

They always have deals going and I ended up paying $225 shipped. Only took one day to ship as them came out of Buffalo, NY.

I don't have a clue if you can turn slotted rotors......sorry Joel Sad
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

I didn't know you could paint the rotor itself? What paint do you recommend?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 9:19 am

stockfornow wrote:

Any 'high temp' paint will work. I usually use engine paint or something similar. I mask off the rotor brake surface and spray the rest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 3:07 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
stockfornow wrote:

Any 'high temp' paint will work. I usually use engine paint or something similar. I mask off the rotor brake surface and spray the rest.
The next time I replace rotors, I'm really thinking of just spraying everything but the hub/bearing surfaces, baking them in my oven, then just putting them on. Why wouldn't the pads just scrub the paint off in the appropriate areas?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
DBeaSSt wrote:
stockfornow wrote:

The next time I replace rotors, I'm really thinking of just spraying everything but the hub/bearing surfaces, baking them in my oven, then just putting them on. Why wouldn't the pads just scrub the paint off in the appropriate areas?

I thought of that too. I wondered if the paint would "gum" up under the pads. If the pads (and heat) just burn and/or scrub the paint off, you're absolutely right and that would be the easiest way to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:27 pm

The paint could gum up the pads, if it was me I would paint the rotors, put the old pads on, then go for a short around the corner trip to remove the paint. Then install the new pads, I recommend ceramic pads, they have invisible dust and don't suffer from brake fade as much as normal semi-metallic pads. As far as I know drilled and slotted rotors can be turned, I have turned drilled rotors with no problems before.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 pm

I kept a set of pld pads just for this occasion: the day before a car show, I pull the wheels, spray the snot out of everything with high temp semi gloss black, install the old pads, drive around the block then reinstall the ceramics. Everything looks new for the judges Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the tips guys! Any recommendations on color?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:45 pm

stockfornow wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys! Any recommendations on color?

Black. I use glossy black but don't think it really matters. I"m not into the red brake hardware thing but to each his own. Wink
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 am

Just so I don't mess things up.....I am spray painting the whole front of the rotor with a high temp paint? I want to keep them the silver color that they are.

And I can either mask off where the pads will contact or use the old pads to scuff that part off?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 am

DON'T spray the bearing surfaces. You don't want anything in there. As for the pad contact surfaces, either way would apparently work based on comments above. Wink
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Just purchased some Aluminum colored engine enamel to paint the calipers and rotors with. Hopefully I can get started on this tonight.

I have some work to do before the 'fest. Still need to strip and polish my SS wheels! Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look what the UPS man dropped off :)   Look what the UPS man dropped off :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look what the UPS man dropped off :)
Page 1 of 1