GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Empty
PostSubject: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Okay, so I picked up another M28 trans... just in time for my '94 DGGM to poop a 4L60E. Well, it still works, but if I turn right on the way up a hill and accellerate hard it'll slip like crazy. I might take a look at the filter install... but it's been acting funny for a while so it's probably toast.

Anyway, I put an M28 trans in my '95 DCM (T56 Wagon #1 for me) about three weeks ago. After driving it for a while with the 4.10 gears, I gotta say it's a blast to drive! It's just like driving the "regular" T56 with 4.88 gears. Now that's some accelleration, son! Here are my RPMs with the M28 and 4.10 gears. I also included calculations for 3.73 gears:

Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! M28d

Compare those numbers to the "regular" '94 - '96 trannies:

Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! M28e

I plan to build the '94 DGGM with 3.73 gears and the second M28 trans. This way I can *fingers crossed* run a stock driveshaft. This is my beater, so I don't want to buy an expensive driveshaft.

I'll keep y'all posted. I'll post details and pictures in the drivetrain section. Really I just wanted to brag about my M28 find... those suckers are basically unobtanium these days!

Last edited by Wagon Collector on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Sweet deal. Cool charts, too! Smile

I hate you. Wink
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

"meh,.. what kind of an idiot would want to run 4:88's??" cyclops

Nick
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 pm

part of the reason I haven't put in a T56 is because there are so many engineering compromises. I'm not interested in having a 54" driveshaft spinning at 6000rpm beneath my floors. The M28 is the right trans for these cars; a 3.42 in the back (IMHO) and you're set. I think there are other T56s that had a 2.97 first gear and I *think* the SSR got a 3.36 first gear, although there weren't many made and probably only a handful that have been wrecked.
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 1:12 am

phantom 309 wrote:
"meh,.. what kind of an idiot would want to run 4:88's??" cyclops

Nick

Yeah... I hate to say you were right... but 4.88s would be very nice with the 2.66/0.50 trans. I would think 4.56s would be nice, too... but after about 12,000 miles with the 4.10s, I gotta say they are just not the right gear for these heavy cars with that trans.

sherlock9c1 wrote:
part of the reason I haven't put in a T56 is because there are so many engineering compromises. I'm not interested in having a 54" driveshaft spinning at 6000rpm beneath my floors. The M28 is the right trans for these cars; a 3.42 in the back (IMHO) and you're set. I think there are other T56s that had a 2.97 first gear and I *think* the SSR got a 3.36 first gear, although there weren't many made and probably only a handful that have been wrecked.

Yes, the M29 trans (identified with a -007 on the tailshaft tag) had a 2.97 first gear and a 0.62 sixth gear. Those would be very cool, too... and would be close ratio. I would think that trans with 4.10s would be very good. Maybe 3.73s.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:05 pm

These things really need at least 4.56's with the later trans, IMHO. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Moving along... got the 3.73s installed at Charlie Costello's shop this weekend. They are dead quiet and smooth on the highway, even with the stock driveshaft! I did spring for a neutral balanced machined yoke from Denny's Driveshaft, though. Actually I had it laying around, can't remember why I bought it.

So right now I'm enjoying the hell out of the auto and 3.73 posi setup, even with a sluggish all-stock motor. Still gotta figure out why this thing is slow. Seems to take forever for the revs to build!

I'm thinking end of September / early October and I'll be cutting the holes for the T56. Can't wait to have a daily driver 6-speed wagon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!   Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tee Fiddy Sicks Waggin Numbah Dose!
Page 1 of 1