GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stockfornow

stockfornow

Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Empty
PostSubject: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

So my daily driver has a hole in the muffler and I am trying to figure out what to replace it with.

I originally ordered 2.5" Summit Race Mufflers (chambered) with all the necessary reducers to spice into the existing hardware. I then returned them and got 2.25" Summit Turbo mufflers. Keep in mind I have to pay shipping to make a return.

After seeing it on the lift, I was advised to replace the intermediate pipes as well.

Here are my options:

1. Use the 2.25" mufflers with the 2.5" intermediate pipes and stock tails
2. Return or sell the 2.25" mufflers and order 2.5" mufflers (again) with the 2.5" intermediate pipes and stock tails

What do you guys think?

Is it better to get the intermediates at Advance Auto or Summit? I can't seem to find the WLK-45687 on the Advance Auto site.

Also, has anyone ever tried the Summit Race mufflers? How will they sound with out a crossover and with the stock tails?

As always, thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I was only able to find one pipe on Advances website as well. Have yet to go into a store and ask about them. If they can get both I would go with them. I hate paying for shipping on stuff I can get in town Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:48 pm

The Summit race mufflers have more of a metalish raspy sound to them IMO. I did not hear them on a LT1 though...it was a 4.6 Ferd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 3:12 pm

94Woody wrote:
I was only able to find one pipe on Advances website as well. Have yet to go into a store and ask about them. If they can get both I would go with them. I hate paying for shipping on stuff I can get in town Smile

Just called...WLK-45687 is not available to Advance Auto anymore.

Looks like RockAuto or Summit!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I'll buy those 2.25" Summit Turbos off of you - the ones on my wagon are starting to go after 5 years. Send me a PM or email me and we can work out the details.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 4:56 pm

stockfornow wrote:
94Woody wrote:

Just called...WLK-45687 is not available to Advance Auto anymore.

Looks like RockAuto or Summit!

Well darn. I'd go with Summit cause the shipping at RockAuto was nuts last time I checked.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Stock motor isn't gonna matter if it's 2.5's or 2.25's for the muffs. Just make what you have work. You've got it and it'll be a zillion times better than the stock muffs. Smile

Have a buddy at Midas or somewhere bend up the inter-pipes for less than 100 bucks installed. Smile Or, just order the dynomax pipes from summit if you have the time.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Looks like I am going with Summit Turbo's 2.5" with the intermediate pipes. Joel was nice enough to take the 2.25" off my hands. Will make for less reducers needed.

I will be sure to post sound clips once completed!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Hey Kevin, thanks for the mufflers. I sent you paypal; SORRY!! that I totally forgot to have the cash available when you showed up! Let me know if there are any problems with the paypal.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Hey Kevin, thanks for the mufflers. I sent you paypal; SORRY!! that I totally forgot to have the cash available when you showed up! Let me know if there are any problems with the paypal.

NP. Got the money tonight. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 am

Mid pipes and mufflers arrived yesterday. Appointment on Tuesday for install Smile

Should I paint these with hi temp paint to help stop corrosion? They are going on my daily driver....
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 12:50 pm

stockfornow wrote:
Mid pipes and mufflers arrived yesterday. Appointment on Tuesday for install Smile

Should I paint these with hi temp paint to help stop corrosion? They are going on my daily driver....

I would...it can't hurt! Smile You might have to touch up the spots where they weld afterwards. PICS and SOUNDCLIPS when done!! cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....   Decisions, decisions.  Need some help..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decisions, decisions. Need some help.....
Page 1 of 1