GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Empty
PostSubject: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 1:05 am

Hey, I inherited a 92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon from my good old grandparents. They took great care of the car, but it has a trim/chrome issue that needs addressing. I'd appreciate some help.

The black rubber moulding that was originally glued to the chrome just below the vinyl "wood" paneling has all fallen off. What kind of glue should I use to stick these trim pieces to the chrome?

the chrome is severely scratched where the black trim strips used to be mounted. Grampa said he scratched the chrome with a razor blade in a previous attempt to glue these strips back on. I'd love to leave the black strips off, but the chrome looks really bad.

Thanks for your input.

Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:30 am

3M Emblem Tape works good for reattaching the factory rubber strips. Just make sure to get all the old tape/glue off the trim and chrome.

Option #1 would be 1 3/8" wide black (or any color) vinyl tape instead of the factory molding.

Option #2 Would be smaller, less bulky after market black rubber strips.

http://www.vinylgraphics.net/shopexd.asp?id=5794

Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 11:12 am

I used a double sided adhesive tape on the top half of the rubber and then ran a bead of windshield adhesive below that. The tape sticks immediately and holds the rubber in place while the adhesive below cures. It's not coming off again. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Agreed, 3M double-stick grey tape, sold at most parts stores, has worked the best for me. It's the grey tape with the red backing you peel off. Going on two years since I did my car and still holding strong. Just make sure to get as much of the old stuff off the trim and metal before mounting the new tape.

Good luck....oh and pics of youyrs when you can!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah really, that stuff is great. I used it to reattach my Caprice emblems on the tailgate. Works amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks, 3m emblem tape sounds like the way to go! glad I found this forum. I'll post pics soon.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 pm

I'd add the windshield adhesive in there also. I put these on my RMW soooo many times with all the various double sided tapes and they always fell off a few years later on a hot day. I think it had something to do with the extreme cold we get (-20F) and then the heat. I finally added some Silicone to them, and they never fell off again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.   black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

black rubber strips glued to chrome. 92 estate wagon.
Page 1 of 1