GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for a Hurst Shifter

Go down 
+5
BigBlackBeaSSt
Cadet57
phantom 309
81X11
1phastsswagon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Guys looking for a Hurst Shifter either one of the numbers below would work. These have been discontinued but trying to located one of these to do a Project we are working on

Promatic 2 - #383-8511

Vmatic 2 - #383-8521

QTR Stick - #316-0030

Dual Gate 2 - #292-0020

OR Factory 83 - 84 Olds Lightning Rods

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Got the dual-gate in my '67 GTO. Wish that car was a stick, but at least with the dual-gate it's a little more interesting.

Would love to have the Lightning Rods in my Cutlass. They don't do much but sure look cool!

Good luck on the hunt!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Mike, we are doing something really different (PROJECT H/W) in the works
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Last lightning rods I saw on ebay went for over 700 bucks.Usually can find the first 3 listed
used prettycheap.Watch all the craigslist located near a major dragstrip and www.racejunk.com and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.Robert ,what are you guys working on?
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh god. If you put lightning rods in your wagon you will be my hero. I want that mod SO BADLY.

Promatic 2: http://sdparts.com/details/hurst-shifters/hur383-8511

I'll hunt for others later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Think they are looking for used shifters.Damn that shifter has gone up but its always been one of my favorites.
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Never know. Might take so long to find used that buying new is almost worth it.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

lightning rods are a misnomer,. they are clunky damn things that once out of adjustment will cause numerous hours of frustration,.back in the day they were the FIRST thing thrown out of any car that was starting to go fast,.just let the girfreind try and drive the car once and they would be done,..
But then again, you guys are still in love with tbi's,....

Nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I drove a clapped-out '83 Hurst/Olds when I was looking for a Cutlass and the shifter was so loose it was nuts. It looked awesome but I had no idea what the point was, and it felt like it was going to fall off in my hand.

That said, again, it looked cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmGZnmvSCM - here's a "how it works" for you folks.

Wheee!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Always hating on the TBIs Nick and you are the only one that does.Still kinda pathetic too!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

I just laugh. Nothing wrong with a TBI. Nothing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:33 pm

I mean, the 'rods are just cool looking. I've heard horror stories about getting them adjusted right, but meh.

Who are we kidding? The cars aren't fast, they're fun. Smile If any of us get serious about going fast there's plenty of T56's in the world.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Nick,
apparently you never drove a mid 80's Hurst Olds. They drive shift just like a standard floor shift GM UNTIL you take it out of OD to Drive, then your can down shift with the other two levers for the shifters performance mode of operation.

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Oh god. If you put lightning rods in your wagon you will be my hero. I want that mod SO BADLY.

Promatic 2: http://sdparts.com/details/hurst-shifters/hur383-8511

I'll hunt for others later.

Thanks for the 411 on Scoggin Dickey - didnt even think about looking those guys up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Eh, I do what I can.

What's in the plans for it? I WANT TO KNOW!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's a hint

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Docwatson

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Already looked at that one tim, still waiting to hear back from HURST/B&M to see if they have a 4 speed gate available for it. Those are my replies to Brooklyn on that post. Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 pm

I know Chris has a lightning rod and I thought he had an extra one. I thought he was trying to sell. SWT SS is his handle.

Tim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks Tim

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:55 am

1phastsswagon wrote:

Nick,
apparently you never drove a mid 80's Hurst Olds. They drive shift just like a standard floor shift GM UNTIL you take it out of OD to Drive, then your can down shift with the other two levers for the shifters performance mode of operation.

SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT.

P.S no (as you spelled it girfreind here) However my wife can row a 4 speed with the best of them so I see no problem

Hmmm,. the sensitivity over tbi engines is amusing,(lol). a little friendly ball busting about tbi's and everyone gets their panties bunched up,.all tbi co-dependants,..so much so that right away they'll go for the incorrect grammar card, *sigh* and call my little jab as pathetic? deja vu as usual,.

no body mentioned your girfren specifically,. and my observation was recalled from my own past,so your ASSumption about me and hurst lightning rods is just that, an apparent assumption.
The rods can get out of adjustment really easy when someone starts tugging on the wrong lever for the wrong reason. Girfren , wyfe,. semantics,.details,. trivial differences,.

SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT><<<< was this necessary? is it significant??

Thanks for the explanation of how the lightning rod shifter works, perhaps i might be able to help you later on with where to mig weld the extra support bracket on,.

I had quite a history with oldsmobile a few years back,. but i moved forward into newer, better technology,. which at the time was tbi,.now lt1,. hoping to move on to LS technology, and 6 spd automatics next, then i'll be able to bust the balls of the lt1 guys alittle, and irritate the mangina's of the tbi guys still,.and snicker and point fingers at 4l60e's,.700r4's etc,.
wonder how you eunuchs react when someone talks a little smack about your favourite sports team?, is that pathetic too? do you rush right to the spell checker for that too? Way too much estrogen on this forum sometimes, most of it being driven around in tbi cars,. Laughing
meh.

Nyck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 am

Bet it took you a while to compose this little reply.Guess the title of "little man with a BIG mouth"
given to you by another member really fits.I can think of a few more appropriate titles,but they
no doubt have already been used.
Take Care Nicky
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

I'm about to give my "can't we all just get along" speech again....

Come one...this site is for fun and knowledge sharing.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 pm

thanks

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 pm

I couldn't disagree more!

Communities are built on the strength of the bonds between it's members, and much of that happens during friendly bantering. This isn't a presidential debate, this isn't a courtroom testimony about shifters, and the website isn't called Wagonpedia. It's an online equivalent to a room full of car guys hanging out - and if ya can't take a little razzing or ball busting about your horesepower from a guy with a little more horsepower, then I'd submit that maybe you just don't get how friendships work in the real world. Act like you got some hair on your friggin chest and either play along or have enough pride in your manhood to not be a bitch about it.

Case in point - Nick really does know his stuff about oldsies - and I never knew dudes needed an extra bracket fabbed up, or whatever, to make them lightning rods more idiot proof.

You call it useless, but I lernt a little somethin.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 pm

I tried avoiding this thread like the plague once it went south. Suffice to say I'm not surprised it went in the direction it did. Ball busting is one thing. Trolling to piss others off intentionally is another.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
I tried avoiding this thread like the plague once it went south. Suffice to say I'm not surprised it went in the direction it did. Ball busting is one thing. Trolling to piss others off intentionally is another.

Seriously Justin.

How? By saying that lightning rods weren't found reliable by racers looking for optimum performance, or by making the comparison that that fact probably wouldn't matter to someone who's in love with a TBI, which is also inferior performance-wise?

How is that trolling with INTENT to piss people off?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Bewber wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Seriously Justin.

How? By saying that lightning rods weren't found reliable by racers looking for optimum performance, or by making the comparison that that fact probably wouldn't matter to someone who's in love with a TBI, which is also inferior performance-wise?

Neither. Up until that point there was a great back and forth. Like you said, I was interested to learn about shifters... But then, like threads before this, certain users with a penchant for posting things in a incendiary manner, then acting innocent when others call him out on it arrived. Sadly a vicious cycle that does nothing but hinder discussion on this website. You know who I am talking about too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 pm

So... how 'bout that local sports team?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
So... how 'bout that local sports team?

Bruins lost. Celtics (neigh, basketball) blow, Pats won, and the Sox just got a new manager. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm

So you're calling Nick out for intentionally trying to piss people off in this thread, then "acting innocent" - but then admit that there wasn't anything wrong with what he said?

Even Stinroo even stated that these cars aren't fast - just fun, and where's the outrage there?

At least Nick was talking about shifters. The only trolling I've noticed is you trolling for a reason to bitch about Nick again, whether there's just cause or not. Keep in mind that I couldn't really care less, but it is what it is, and you look like a hypocrate.

Per the topic,

When I made my wagon a 4 speed, I bought a summit brand shifter and within a month it was giving me big headaches. I'd park the car and somehow while sitting the linkage would jam up. I swapped in a hurst and have been grippin & rippin ever since - and grinning too.

I'll probably only go with HURST products in the future.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I still think the Dual-Gate is my favorite factory-installed shift lever. Follwed by the Lightning Rods.

Was reading up and learned that the 79 and 80 Hurst/442's used Dual Gates. Since the 78-88 Cutlass use the same console I'm going to keep an eye out for this setup for my car in the future. It's sure to be cheaper and less complicated that the Lightning Rods.

Check this out: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/12/01/hmn_feature21.html

....I like the factory CB option too. 10-4!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Lovin the short throw in the stang

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Hurstmustangpics015

Little emblems from hurst adds the touch on the back and dash

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Hurstmustangpics012
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:53 pm

[quote="Bewber"]So you're calling Nick out for intentionally trying to piss people off in this thread, then "acting innocent" - but then admit that there wasn't anything wrong with what he said?

No... you've misunderstood. This post:
Quote :
"lightning rods are a misnomer,. they are clunky damn things that once out of adjustment will cause numerous hours of frustration,.back in the day they were the FIRST thing thrown out of any car that was starting to go fast,"

Was fine. Whatever, he doesn't like the lightning rods, whatevs. But then he goes on some nonsencical anti-TBI rant then saying something about too much estrogen? (wtf?) What does THAT have to do with Hurst shifters? If someone wants to put lightning rods in a TBI car, so be it. It shouldn't be anyone's business to criticize what others do with their cars.

Bewber wrote:
Even Stinroo even stated that these cars aren't fast - just fun, and where's the outrage there?

None. I never claimed a TBI was fast. I could care less that its not. And just because the motor isnt fun, doesn't make the car bad. Unlike Nick would like others to think.

Bewber wrote:
The only trolling I've noticed is you trolling for a reason to bitch about Nick again, whether there's just cause or not. Keep in mind that I couldn't really care less, but it is what it is, and you look like a hypocrate.

Call me a troll all you want, but the thread was going fine until it turned into a pissing match. I don't need a reason to bring him up. Nor do I want one. He has done fine on his own in the past. Like I said, I was staying out of it all along only because I wanted to avoid a pissing match over something like a childish TBI/LT1 comparo.

But we've taken this thread on such a stupid, unintended tangent now. I also got dragged into it in a manner I wished not to. I'm done posting in this one. I've said my piece, i'm out before I say something I regret.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:05 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

Lovin the short throw in the stang

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Hurstmustangpics015

Little emblems from hurst adds the touch on the back and dash

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Hurstmustangpics012

Looking sharp!!

Oh and yes, the Hurst emblems are popular. Razz

Looking for a Hurst Shifter Movieday018
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:07 pm

"Anti-TBI rant"?

Rant? Really? Rant.

Dude, please, you know that never happened.

And I disagree again about commenting on a product that someone wants to install. If I was about to pay a bunch of money for lightning rods because I thought they'd help my car perform better, or if I wasn't the type who wanted to deal with infinite fine tuning - and learned in this thread that they'd be nothing but trouble, I'd appreciate the info.

And why is it a sore spot to mention that TBI's have less HP than LT1s - and that TBI guys typically aren't in the game for performance? Seriously. It's a FACT and everybody knows it. We're not even talking about a little difference here - we're talking about ONE HUNDRED horsepower difference from the factory. I don't even see how discussing the difference is grounds for ANYONE to get pissy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I raze Nick because he razes me.Its about talking crap back and forth.Dont know if you young
guys really listen to Nick when it comes to cars.This guy has probably forgotten more about
engines than all of us combined,think we know.His diagnosing of engine problems is dead on
everytime and trust me I am trying to find something wrong but I cant.His idea for finding which
headgasket was bad was freakin genius and totally old school.You guys can learn a boatload if
you listen closely to what he says.Now he likes to pick on TBI wagons which gets me going
because these will never be what I would consider fast cars and I agree they are underpowered
but perfectly drivable anywhere anytime.I also have a 95 RMW that jumped sideways on me
the last time I drove it on a wet road.The jumping sideways was during the 1st to 2nd shift
and it definitely made me smile but so does my 91 OCC.
I have no intentions of stopping giving it back to Nick whenever he disses my beloved OCC.
But I also respect his knowledge of engines.He is a sarcastic twit and that wont change and
neither will I!
Jim
Lorne did the emblems come with the shifter and have you had any strange grinding when shifting
fast?I think there is a TSB out about tranny problems but that may apply only to the 6 speed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Whats the matter,is everyone in shock?Meant every word of it!Rebuttals please!
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 pm

All this talk about shifters reminded me of something that happened to me in my junior year of
high school.Had my girl kick my shifter into neutral when she reached org,anyway my mustang
rolled down the hill onto the beach and then we were stuck.That was quite a ride and she was
so happy she paid for the tow!
True Story
Jim
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Looking for a Hurst Shifter The-Internet-is-Serious-Business

Or is this a better one for this thread
Looking for a Hurst Shifter 1ca03a12-3579-4572-b684-ee84536cfde3

Sorry, I had to!!! relax guys its the internet!!!!
unbunch your panties and play nice

That Lighting rod looks to complicated for me to mess with

Last edited by bcreasy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Whats wrong with thats cats nose?
Jim
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm

The emblems are from hurst Jim,they didn't come with the shifter.

It shifts with a clunk,you can actually hear it evry shift,and the issue some have is what I describe as a buzz,like a phone on vibrate,that seems to happen at the higher revs.

The fix is an isulator that goes between the shafts,but it will defeat the whole purpose of the shifter so I left it off.

Last edited by lornejay1 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Lorne check out some of the utube videos under Mustang shifters.Some of them sound like the
clutch is hanging up and each upshift is a distinctive metallic grind.Ford first said it was owner
abuse until brand new stangs were caught doing it on test drives!
Jim
Back to top Go down
92wgaonlow1

92wgaonlow1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 8:36 am

81X11 wrote:
I still think the Dual-Gate is my favorite factory-installed shift lever. Follwed by the Lightning Rods.

Was reading up and learned that the 79 and 80 Hurst/442's used Dual Gates. Since the 78-88 Cutlass use the same console I'm going to keep an eye out for this setup for my car in the future. It's sure to be cheaper and less complicated that the Lightning Rods.

Check this out: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/12/01/hmn_feature21.html

....I like the factory CB option too. 10-4!

-Mike

i have to agree there had this shifter in my 78 trans am , loved it , always called it the his and hers shifter , lol but ive always liked this shifter as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Hurst Shifter   Looking for a Hurst Shifter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Hurst Shifter
Page 1 of 1